Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

I really hated the level with the bastard sun that would chase you. Infuriating. I might stand a chance with a new save system…

Finished it a lot as a kid not so much as an adult. But then I was borderline ocd gamer as a kid.
Nes star wars was tough as old boots _ aye search every fucking cave on tatooine for obi wan and get killed to bits? No bother!
The Japanese only star wars one looks mental. Vader morphs into a giant scorpion etc.

Pretty sure they were very similar - the quality and variety of the NES title was streets ahead of 99% of the other titles around.

Whhhhaaaaaat the fuck is that!?!!

There’s a few of them levels. Was disappointed he wasn’t in Mario maker but no doubt some lunatic would have made a level with 1000 of those bastards. See also - the mask bastards in Mario 2.

Yeah fuck those mask twats

1 Like

Super ghouls and ghosts was another I found very unforgiving. It’s playing games like these that make Botw seem not so bad during its first parts.

2 Likes

He was a dick but basically a tougher lakitu so my mario 1 skills came in quite handy.

I remember getting through pipe world and basically thinking well I might as well consider this game finished cause the warp whistles had shown me the end times that awaited me. At least you could swim under the boats I guess.

It’s a testament to the games that even though the difficulty became unforgiving you would replay them for years despite knowing you would get your arse handed to you on a plate.

1 Like

Made by Namco. Japan only release graphics were solid game is batshit- these are all Vader:

So, the story of me buying Mario 3. I got it from a shop in a gaming mag through mail order. It arrived but didn’t work, turns out it was a us import. I was gutted. My dad was an electronic engineer, so he rang the shop and gave them shit and got them to tell him how to mod my nes to make it work. When I got up in the morning he’d done it, it was there ready to play. One of the most awesome things I remember about my dad that.

13 Likes

Go dad, that is brilliant :smiley:

I got it for my 11th birthday and got a migraine as soon as I opened it and couldn’t play it all day!

1 Like

That would have been terrible

1 Like

I’m going to briefly interrupt the NES chat to say that Yoku’s Island Express is the metroidvania/pinball hybrid I never knew I needed and it’s brilliant and you should get it if it’s still on offer thanks bye

2 Likes
2 Likes

So in for this. Also might start going by ‘scorpion vader’

1 Like

The thing that majes it more special is my dad actively groaned at the prospect of me wasting time playing games. So for him to do that for me was remarkable, he only did it because he knew how much I wanted it.

There’s something about his generation being fearful of games that has gone now. Won’t be a problem with my kids. I have the morning with my 4yr old daughter tomorrow without her interfering little brother. We’re going to make the labo piano :grinning:

1 Like

“The game is particularly difficult, as the player only has three lives and two continues (activated with enough Force points), and Luke dies upon touching an enemy. The Millennium Falcon and the X-Wing can sustain only one hit before being destroyed, which can be prevented by using one of three deflector shield bursts.”

1 Like

Dad wanted to hate it but would get to Saturday morning and my bro and I would settle in for a tag team go at going all the way through pinbot or whatever and he would be gripped. No-one wanted to get to the tie-fighters more than him :smiley:

1 Like

My wife finds it Wierd ve never played Super Mario Bros, or 3.

Ps, where is 2?