Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

See, on the one hand I’m super keen. Not crazy price it’d seem, limited gaming time so third party support doesn’t faze me, Nintendo supporting just one machine now, off screen play, multiplayer for when kids grow up a bit… And I’ve loved the Wii U.

BUT nearly all of these games so far are titles I’ve played to death already or can buy on Wii U in 2017. A new 3D Mario might change that school of thought but I don’t get why the world is so excited for this yet never bought a Wii U? More or less the same price too.

They’re fundamentally the same idea, just Switch is better implemented and the marketing cleverly avoided showing loads of kids playing it, unlike Wii U did…

I’m a huge Nintendo fanboy, and I didn’t buy a Wii U because I just never envisaged it being a success. I am aware that this is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Really looking forward to finally playing Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

Well you’re in for a treat. Still play both games now, several years on. New Mario Kart tracks may genuinely be reason enough to get a Switch for some. The DLC they released for MK8 was some of the best months of online gaming I’ve experienced.

Splatoon is amazingly addictive too. Can lose hours playing it…

This for me too. Looking forward to finally having a new Nintendo toy after skipping the Wii U!

1 Like

this is going to be another massive fucking clusterfuck.

Jan 12: Nintendo Switch presentation. Pretty hyped for this

1 Like

Rumoured to come in at around 180 quid too

2 Likes

A bit tempted to get up at 4am to watch it.

A bit…

Very much so. I’ll get killed by my wife if I do though.

lmao
“Nintendo has only slated stores for 10-15 pre-order units per store (here we go again, NES classic all over again)”

isn’t that what happens with every console?

more importantly, new zelda and mario on launch! :heart_eyes:

Good news if true! I don’t know if I’ll get a switch at launch, but I’m definitely going to not buy Zelda on the Wii U, I have to imagine that version is going to have a much poorer framerate. Would love to be wrong on that though.

But my main worry with Zelda is that they’re rushing through the development to rush it out on time. Which would be very un-Nintendo but it seems like they’re willing to take more risks with this - What's going on with Zelda: Breath of the Wild's release date? | Eurogamer.net

isn’t is also possible that it’s been ready for a while and they’re holding it back for the launch? has been in development for like 4 years.

1 Like

which is what happened with twilight princess

Nope

I don’t know, it’s tough to say. Hopefully my worries are unfounded and it ends up being great! I’m not usually a fan of open world stuff but I haven’t been as excited about a Zelda game since Wind Waker. Trying to protect myself from any disappointment…

If I remember right that’s been the case with a lot of Nintendo systems since the Gamecube though? The Wii especially.

The Wii was understocked for ages, although demand was probably past Nintendo’s wildest expectations - it did 4m units in the first month which I’m fairly sure at the time was the biggest launch in history. I seem to remember the bigger problem with the 3DS and Wii U on the other hand was trying to find people who wanted to buy one - the 3DS only took off at all after they slashed the price several months in and the Wii U’s woes are well chronicled.

1 Like

It’s Nintendo thing, their policy is to understock to create scarcity. I think even the WiiU sold out on launch even with middling numbers, the 2nd dispatch didn’t do at all well.

1 Like