Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

What’s the advantage of virtual console over just releasing old Nintendo games in the e-shop?

That’s basically what VC is - it’s just a category in the eShop where they add a couple of old games each week.

2 Likes

Apparently they’ve also lowered the minimum brightness which is a great touch for those who can’t stop playing stardew valley even when they’re supposed to go to sleep

3 Likes

Ah right. Name makes it sound like some kind of emulation software or something

Correct. Basically the same thing isn’t it?
On the 3ds, wii and wii u shops they split the store into ‘…ware’ and ‘virtual console’ sections.
So don’t see the reason they wouldn’t just do that again.
Not overly concerned about vc right now anyway. Too many good new games coming out. Plus we’ll get a few freebie old titles with online service.

2 Likes

There’s no chance they won’t cash in on their catalogue sooner or later. I’m in no rush. They’ve also got a SNES Classic to flog

1 Like

Yep. Got the Snes classic myself and with it being so easy to add games to it Im covered.
Plus they’re being very coy on N64 and Gameboy classic this week so I bet we see those at some point.

2019 would be the perfect time for a Gameboy Classic - 30 year anniversary.

Going to change from Bowser to Bowser in a top hat

3 Likes

I think they should let us use the game icons as user icons too. Would be fun times when Doom etc roll around.

drools

3 Likes

I’ve not looked at them since I set mine up. Do they have have third party ones? They definitely should.

I don’ think so. They should get sonic etc on their at least you’d think. A wider variety would be nice in general. Even if it was a wider selection of characters. I expect LOADS when Odyssey releases - like every character in the game with a Mario hat and 'tache!

They’re already doing it!

yes. this has made me surprisingly happy.

1 Like

Is the second from the left on the second row an anthropomorphic urinal?

1 Like

Nah.
They have to hold something back for the sequel mate!

1 Like

There’s a demo of that Oceanhorn Wind Waker like game in the eshop if anyone was intrigued…

Also Fire Emblem Warriors is out today. Little fanfare around that one…

Enjoyed a good warriors game from back in the day, recently got dynasty warriors 2 for the ps2 for 50p and played a lot of it. Worth spending 100 times that much? Nah. Never got to do the Zelda one, that I’d pick up straight away on eshop!

Not sure? Never been sure about these games but reviews seem good and people I knew who owned Hyrule Warriors loved it.