Nintendo Switch - This is now the angel killing badass hairy witch thread

probably 3rd best platformer ever so yeah I can go with you on this one!

Starting to really love this little machine now. Barely ever want to play it in TV mode. So by Christmas, you should be able to play the best versions of Mario Kart, Zelda, 3D Mario and Sonic in a decade. Plus there’s Splatoon 2, FIFA, ARMS, Rabbids, Skyrim, Xenoblade 2, a Dynasty Warriors thing. Not to mention Shovel Knight, Thumper, FAST Racing, Snipperclips, Rocket League, Streetfighter 2 and loads Neo Geo fun on the indie store.

AND Metroid Prime to come one day.

That’s quite a decent start. Genuinely wondering what on Earth year 2 and 3 look like for this console and what else would excite people.

My gut? A genuine successor and revamped art style to Super Mario World.

Hoping for Pikmin 4 in year 2. That new Yoshi game looks gorgeous. Also watch 3rd parties flock if sales continue they say they have been. And of course Smash will definitely be coming at some point.

And I will be amazed if there isn’t a Super Mario Maker Deluxe or 2 in the works with a lot more content.
In fact that’s the kind of thing they should give away free with their online subscription.

Would be nice to see third party developers take to it. Think we’re likely to at least see a lot of games ported from the last generation

Absolutely agree.

I essentially bought the machine to play Zelda and MK8, with a view to the future. Now I have 11 games (some longer form, some pick up and play/ports) and have barely booted Steam in months. I only ever play docked if I have people over or have rinsed the battery.

If and when the VC launches and unlocks at least some of the back catalogue, the Switch will be utterly indispensable. Even if the big third party devs do not get fully behind it, with the combo if strong Indie support, first party joy and VC, I can’t see them making enough to meet demand untill they blast way past 12m units sold.

I am definitely buying one of these after Christmas so I can make my glorious return to playing games.

One of the most encouraging things seems to be Nintendo targeting indie Developers and games to get games on there. I remember seeing a quote from the Nintendo staff guy who does this and he basically said “if something is releasing on Steam why shouldn’t it be releasing on our e-shop”.

Edit: Here’s the full quote:

“The way we’re looking at Switch is this is a complementary platform. If it’s on Steam, then there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be on Nintendo Switch as well,” Baker told Games Industry.biz in a recent interview. “If you want to take that experience on the go, if you want to have a baked in multiplayer experience, this is the system to do it. It’s got those points of differentiation, but we’re not trying to go head-to-head against any of the other platforms. We just think that if the content makes sense to be over on our platform then it should be on our platform.”

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56602/nintendo-indies-steam-switch/index.html

This weeks Nintendo Voice Chat podcast is an interview with the Rocket League developers and it’s fascinating. How open Nintendo were with them, the support, the teamwork… clear strategy seems to be ‘make Switch the go to place for indies’. And it’s working. I’m buying games I already own to have them on the device.

Selling gangbusters in the US too. Outsold the PS4 and Xbox one last month.

I posted this on C&Rinse last night. What do you think the future of Switch looks like?

So it’s E3 2022. The Switch has been out for 5 years and is doing well. Metroid is out, Smash is a huge hit with an expanded roster. Zelda, Mario Kart and 3D Mario all launched Year One.

So, WILD SPECULATION time guys. What does Nintendo Switch look like in 5 years time?

My guesses:

• Virtual console with colour coordinated JoyCon to match various eras of Nintendo consoles
  • HD ports of several Wii classics
  • Nintendoland 2 launches at same time the Theme Park opens.
  • A true successor to Super Mario World that nails a new art style and moves things on.
  • The surprise return of Eternal Darkness
  • F-Zero online with 30 players
  • Mario Maker 2 launches where you create courses in handheld mode and dock the Switch to play them instantly on your TV
  • 3D Donkey Kong
  • Improved version with greater battery life launched in early 2019.
  • Announcement that Switch 2.0 is coming. The middle section of the console can be swapped out for a more powerful upgrade and the old JoyCon still work. Effectively the world’s first modular console.

Nice. got a link for that?
Situation seems crazy in Japan where they’re having to run Switch lotteries at stores: 5000 people queiing hoping to win 1 of 100 available consoles. If there were no limits to hardware production i reckon they may be closer to double what the sales are. People getting it for Xmas are going to have a very healthy catalogue of games to choose from.

in 5 years time there will be the switch 2.0

^Noah and the Whale first draft needed work.

Switch outsells PS4 and Xbox One in America in July

Is this for real? I was in Japan in May/June and saw Switches for sale all over when they were like hen’s teeth in Europe.

As if anyone’s getting one for xmas. @ericthefourth should have held onto his until at least late November and sold it to the most desperate parent

So I’ve read too. Think there were more available at launch than people thought but peak word of mouth about Zelda caused a rush over in the West initially. Whereas Japan is nuts for Splatoon, so the release of 2 caused demand to go mental later on.

I got one when I did as waiting times were creeping up to a month. Don’t want to miss what might be the best 3D Mario game in a decade.

Oh it’s real. Monster Hunter XX releasing soon there will only make things worse I reckon:

ok so I started Sonic Mania this morning, some thoughts:

. I really love the look of this, it’s like they brought sonic up to 32bit i nsome subtle ways, feels like his animation and some of the stage elements are a bit more wholesome and 3d in subtle ways.

. so far the levels seem more interesting and reward different routes more than old sonic and the bosses have all been fun but not too difficult.

. fuck those collect the blue spheres bonus stages though, they weren’t fun the first time and they seem even harder now.

. the music is great but it’s a bit of a shame that it doesn’t quite have the spikey edge to it that the original megadrive soundchip did.

I’m only playing as Sonic at the moment so no idea what tales and knuckles add to it but so far I’m very impressed, it’s a lot of fun and tickling my nostalgia gland (hmmmmmm) in all the right places.