Nintendo Switch Thread 2 - Dry Spell aka Catch Up On Your Backlog

Looking for something post-Hollow Knight… never played a JRPG. I’m not even sure what exactly makes a JRPG a JRPG. How’s Octopath for a first timer in that genre? It does look lovely.

Its fairly easy to learn but its very grindy

Not sure why people have said it’s that short, but I’ve just completed it and it’s taken me just under 23 hours. I’ve not been particularly slow or anything. I’m now going to back to find a few more treasures and then have to grind up a little bit to access one final area I can’t reach yet.
I’ve changed between being a bit frustrated with the battles and then loving them, especially when it shakes things up and I have to use tactics. Might be worth my while trying to use the other characters I didn’t use as much now.

1 Like

Four bosses down on Cuphead and I’ve only just remembered that whole parrying thing. Not done it once in game. Might go back through and focus on that. What a wally.

Final Hollow Knight boss is giving me massive grief. Can’t even get passed the second phase.

I’ve found a great game to play with just one hand. And it costs 89p. Ding Dong XL. It’s pretty damn addictive…

1 Like

Post of the week material :rofl:

2 Likes

Pre-ordered Sword of Ditto to be consistent with my indie rogue like problem. Looking forward to giving it a whirl!

I’ve been playing a ton of Wizard of Legend recently and My Time in Portia. The latter still doesn’t beat Stardew for me.

hubba hubba

1 Like

Looking so much better.
Backed this years ago, so I’m excited to see a release date.

Can confirm that Sword of Ditto so far is a winner. Very Zelda, will have to see how it pans out though as the runs are long enough for me to get so far that I’ve been upset that I’ve lost it all.

Beat steamworld quest and really enjoyed it. Its not very difficult and the isnt a huge amount of depth to it but overall the presentation and kind of calming combat made ot rdally enjoyable for me. The final boss is a SLOG though, over 100 turns for me bith tines. Died the 1st time after about 30 to 40mins of combat :upside_down_face:

Beat him. Finished with 83%, happy with that. Slightly ashamed to admit I resorted to watching it on YouTube cos he was just destroying me. The whole time I’ve played through the game trying to take as little damage as possible and getting my hits in when I can. Seems a viable option is just to get up close and hammer away during your invulnerability phase (after taking damage). Did it first time after that… kind of unsatisfying tbh. Still, amazing game.

Now it’s either SMB U Deluxe or Octopath Traveler. Can’t decide.

Be better off waiting for Mario Maker 2 imo

I’m thinking about it… I love the concept but I’m just not that creative. Can see myself making a few shit levels and then never playing again. How good are some of the player created levels? Are they just one off courses or can they be strung together to create stages/worlds?

They were just one off courses in MM1 not sure about the new one.
The amount of options, levels, premade levels that come with it and guest creators will make it thrive I think.
SMBU just kind of…exists.

I’m playing Octopath Traveller, really enjoying it with some caveats.

Looks charming, presentation is great, music is lovely if a little predictable. Combat system is nice and interesting but can often devolve into just “which weapon is this enemy weak against? ok select that”. Bosses are nice and challenging so far (only 6 hours in).

On the negative side, the stories are quite slight, and it does seem like there’s very much a template for every town/quest/story so I don’t expect the structure or narrative to surprise me at all. Kinda annoys me that none of the NPCs ever move about outside of cutscenes either, makes the world feel pretty static.

All in all I think I’m going to have a good time as I have adjusted my expectations and will treat this as a game I dip in and out of

1 Like

Alright man, I’m gonna go with it! You were solid on Hollow Knight so I have no reason to doubt. I love the box art so gonna pop out and pick it up on cart tomorrow.

2 Likes

Is octopath still avaliable physically?

Its in stock at the Argos down the road… so yeah I guess it is. Unless it’s old stock?

1 Like