2nd
9th
3rd
11th

I’m SICK OF IT

5 Likes

wish it was just normal tetris tbh

1 Like

Download the puyo puyo tetris demo, u can play as much normal tetris as you like

1 Like

but it’s got Puyos in it no?

there are different modes - can just do normal tetris, normal puyo puyo, one where you swap between the two every 30 seconds or so and one where it combines the two. I thought the latter was rubbish tbh but the rest is ace - my wife played it loads and never touched puyo puyo.

2 Likes

It is really really hard now

Yeah, getting to the top 10 is fine for me but it’s nails to win. I’ll try again tomorrow

Anyone got any thoughts on the daemon x machina demo?

Found it all a bit messy. Hard to navigate the map or HUD. Also wasn’t ever sure if I was shooting things right or not.

But it looked stylish as hell and the final boss was ace. So they’re things that are easily fixable.

I’m winning about a quarter of my games in Tetris 99 now, so I feel quite content with that. Although I feel like I should download the demo of puyo Tetris again just so I can try and learn to do those complicated versions of T-Spins, which at the moment still make my brain hurt when I try to think about them too much.

Finished 2nd and 3rd on my last 2 games Tetris, bloody fuming.

1 Like

Got any tips?

You pretty much need to have 3 badges by the time you get near the end, and definitely 4 if you get to the last two people, otherwise it’ll be close to impossible unless you’re lucky. I generally go for the KO option to attack, then switching to Attackers if I get multiple people attacking me, to get that multi-hit bonus.
If you only have one or two people attacking you and you are getting lots of junk sent your way because you’re attacking them, then it might be best to just switch to Random or something, as they might be shooting that multi-hit Attackers option back at you. If there are lots of people attacking the same person that you are then they’re easily going to send a lot of junk back at you. But then it back off Random afterwards, as that will rarely ever get you any KOs.
Learning which way the L shapes rotate so that you can quickly press the correct button when it gets really fast at the end is important. And using the Hold button is probably my most important thing I do - temporarily sticking awkward pieces there, but mostly trying to keep a long piece in there so that it’s available to do a last minute Tetris, especially if you suddenly get attacked and you want to clear lots of rows quickly.

If you like doing Tetrises, then try to do a few of them in a row without clearing any other lines. You get an extra line bonus if you do two in a row, or an extra two line bonuses if you do three or more in a row.

And I guess just having a good understanding of the bar on your left when it fills up and changes colour and is about to give you junk. Early on you will have a fair amount of time to clear some lines before it hits you, but later on it will be pretty much immediately after you put a piece down. If you’re able to plan your moves (where possible) so that you clear a line every single go, until you’re able to get a Tetris or something, then that’ll give you some breathing space.

I think that’s my main advice I can think of for now. Other than just play lots of it. I’ve been wasting/playing so so many hours on it now (in addition to when I used to play an equal amount of time on my DS years ago), so that it becomes a bit second nature. Despite that, I still have bad goes where I’ll end up in the 80s or 90s from just not paying attention or being too awkward with my positioning and then suddenly getting attacked lots.

Hope some of this helps/isn’t too obvious/works for you!

4 Likes

Thanks, this is interesting.

So you generally play on KO mode, other than the above situations?

Are you doing loads of t-spins? I’ve googled to find out what they are and even watched a couple of tutorials, but only done them once or twice.

I’ll have to read about the left hand bar. I don’t really know the specifics of what it means, other than “stuff is coming my way”, and I definitely don’t know how to defend against it effectively.

The four modes:

Random: does what it says. It just targets random people, but means you don’t get many points at all.
Badges: targets the person with the most badges. If you kill that person then you get all of their badges, which is obviously very good. But they’ll generally be very good players and will be able to attack back easily, especially if lots of people are attacking them. I guess you can select it if you want to be risky and try and fluke a kill, or are ready for a battle.
KO: aims for the people who are near the top of the screen I think. If you’re lucky, one of your attacks will kill that person.
Attackers: means you attack anyone who attacks you, and so you can attack multiple people at once if they are attacking you.

I think either of the last two options are the best ones to generally use.

I’m not doing lots of T-Spins at all (other than the normal T-Spins). I’ve never done them in my previous Tetris playing, so I’m just not used to sticking it into my game. I’ve not even attempted to do the T-Spin triple yet. Would be good to be able to do them consistently, but I think it might mess up my current flow if I tried.

The left bar shows the attacks that are coming your way. The bigger the line, the more the amount of attacks that are coming your way. Of it’s grey then you’ve got a bit of time. Yellow means it’s getting closer, red is very close, and flashing red means it will attack you once your current Tetris piece goes down. The timings of these speed up as the game goes on. It’s definitely worth your time paying attention to the bar and getting a feel of when it will attack you, and learning how best to protect yourself against it. More important than trying to figure out T-Spins for now at the very least!

I think I’m taking Tetris 99 a bit too seriously. I’ve caught myself unironically thinking “you come at the king, you best not miss.” a couple of times.

(still haven’t won once)

8 Likes

Made peace* with the fact I will never win a game

*Rage quit over and over again

4 Likes

The moment for me to win a game ended the moment Japan woke up after the direct and downloaded it.

I am happy to play the puyo puyo demo for tetris now.

Alright Switchers, I’m coming to the end of the main story of Celeste (full review will be saved for when I actually finish it) so already thinking about what I can get next…

Pretty open to all suggestions, with the following provisos:

• Pretty cheap, say ÂŁ20? Can maybe go ÂŁ30 for a bigger game
  • Don’t care about genre, though I’ll be playing it as a break from Zelda, so something different would be good
  • Ideally good for shortish bursts
  • Always happy to play some classics I haven’t done before, look getting my gaming history / education up

Separately, what good co-op games are there on the Switch? Mrs HYG expressed a vague interest, but she’s even less of a gamer than I am, so I don’t know where to possibly start.