Nintendo Switch Thread 2020 - Mario Kart DIS Tourney; 1st Jan. Maybe.

And just checking that you’ve tried recalibrating them? I know Nintendo did an update a few months ago which supposedly helped with the joycon drift a little bit.

1 Like

I’ve done “update controllers” in the settings menu, is this what you mean?

Yep. There’s also a Calibrate Control Stick option right below that one as well. It probably won’t magically help, but worth a try!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Initial thoughts on hades…

Normally dead against rogue likes. Don’t mind hard games but I like to know however tough the fight to get to the next bonfire is, I won’t have to go back to the beginning once I’ve got there.

Hades is keeping me happy at this stage though cos it’s been quite quick to unlock new weapons and for each run thus far and I’ve got new dialogue from lots of characters but I can totally see what happened with dead cells happening here - if there’s a mid game lull where the new unlocks dry up then I think I’m going to end up giving up on it.

2 Likes

It’ll be a long time before the unlocks dry up!

2 Likes

So I have a really stupid hades question… When I press minus I get a menu with all of my perks etc displayed and I can press a which puts a little symbol in the top left of them… Is this how they are equipped? I thought it happened automatically? It seems to reset every chamber.

The boons? It’s been a few weeks since I’ve played, so I can’t remember what happens when you press minus (the select button? If that’s what it’s still called on the Switch!).
But the boons will all work for you as soon as you have collected them, and you definitely don’t need to equip them further. Maybe pressing A just shows that you’ve selected it to look at? I can’t remember any extra symbols at the moment.

I can’t either. They’re equipped as soon as you pick them. My one tip, from somebody who struggled for a long time, is not to neglect your cast. For a long time I never used it but actually it’s the most powerful weapon at your disposal. You will find it tough to begin with but every run you get that tiny bit stronger and it makes all the difference.

Also. Never stop moving. And take every chaos gate you can.

Game of the year imo.

2 Likes

if something is on my wishlist, do I get notified when it goes on sale?

what’s the best non-Mario Kart racing game? keen to do some pure racing where I won’t lose on the last corner thanks to the rubber banding getting me shelled… it’s doing my fucking head in

On the switch CTR or Sonic Team Racing. Bu all star racing transformed is the best kart racer ever, dont think its on switch though

You may occasionally get an email to say that a number of the games on your wishlist are on sale, but mostly you don’t get notified. You can sign up for alerts on the dekudeals website to send you notifications when your games go on sale, as well as comparing the sale prices with previous sales, which is pretty handy.

2 Likes

Yeah, the casts are great, especially when they’ve been powered up from the purple orbs as you go along. I sometimes get conflicted if I’m offered an upgrade to my cast which doesn’t leave it lodged inside enemies, because I’ll miss that bonus.

I reckon it’s my game of the year also. Am going through and playing some of my other backlog for the time being, but will definitely go back to it again in the future. Just to see if it ever runs out of story, but it doesn’t seem like it will just yet.

That’s why I love the sword. The aspect that makes your special dislodge your casts is amazing. Basically spam cast/special. Doubly amazing if you pick up the Exit Wounds boon that deals damage when the cast is dislodged.

Thought TLOU2 was a dead cert for GOTY until Hades…

1 Like

Hyrule Warriors is an absolute blast

My copy still hasn’t arrived :pensive:

(In the grand scheme of this year, it’s hardly the worst news I’ve had)

Finished Sunshine and now about 40ish stars into Galaxy. Still bloody brilliant isn’t it. So much better without wii waggle controls imo.
Also got Pikmin 3 in the house now too. Mrs TWI loved the demo and bought it for her for Xmas but couldn’t resist letting her play it early. It’s gonna be very good in 2 player I reckon.

2 Likes

Been a while since I played but Asphalt 9 is a great arcadey racer, a lot like Burnout with slow mo crashes and insane boosts and tricks and stuff. The biggest selling point is that it’s free! On the downside it has all the issues with a mobile freemium game, impenetrable systems to unlock upgrades and stuff, but the racing itself is fun, the tracks are good, it feels fast… worth a punt imo.

1 Like

Yup I had a lot of fun with it over a month period for nowt. The free stuff does get suffocating due to all the menus and I didn’t understand what most of them did, but when I realised I’d had a fair bit of fun with it I dropped a few quid on some cards to reward the developers.

Looks bloody great for a free game.

1 Like

Do in hades I had a “call” many runs ago but I don’t seem to have had one since… Am I being an idiot or are they super rare? I’m guessing the former