Nintendo Switch Thread 2024

@Peanutbuttertoast

I’ve had a pro since launch and it’s brilliant. Feels great, works great, brilliant battery life. Never had any issues.

Also have the 8bitdo pro - it’s a bit fiddly to pair and lacks the he rumble and nfc etc. Works brilliant as a player 2 pad, or when playing games where you mostly use dpad due to the layout. Also works with PC, android, retropi etc at flick of switch and has all sorts of button customisation you can do with its apps (and macros too) - it’s my utility pad for using on multiple devices.

I’d say pro for switch and 8bitdo if you want a pad for a few setups/see it goin cheapies/already have a pro and want another good quality P2 pad.

1 Like

Thank you, and @zeal - we only have a switch and sounds like it is probably worth going for the official one then :+1:t2:

1 Like

Aye I only finally got the 8bitdo cos I was using pi for retrogaming too.
The joycon pad for player 2 with a pro for player 1 is dead on.

1 Like

I can’t imagine not having the Pro now - even for battery alone, its stays charged for like 40 hours or something iirc

M does well with it too even though i thought it’d be too big

3 Likes

It’ll be the frame rate which will be the biggest drawback I imagine.

Still got my Goldeneye watch face! (If you have a Garmin fenix you can get it free on the store)

The Frame rate will be shite. We’re not used to frame rates in their low teens anymore.

6 Likes

Me: Haha, yes!! GoldenEye is here.

Five minutes later me: Wtf these controls are terrible STOP LOOKING DOWN JAMES BOND

5 Likes

There’s a workaround here, if anyone else is similarly annoyed:

If those control change instructions were a level in a game, I’d feel quite pleased at completing that level!

2 Likes

yep. Had half an hour with it before school drop off and man the controls absolutely sucked. I will get on and reconfigure it later before we play. I used to be so good at this but you wouldn’t know!

ooh 16:9 mode, I forgot Goldeneye had that. But I thought the N64 online app defaults to 4:3 with the side bars. Wouldn’t setting 16:9 in game just give you black bars within that? Or does it figure it out?

Can confirm if you select 16:9 mode and ‘normal’ screen (not wide/cinema), in game, you get full wide-screen with no borders and it looks great

Also worth going into the switch controller button mapping and swapping left and right sticks and trigger buttons,and then choosing the ‘solitaire’ controller map inside the game itself, to give something akin to a modern fps control scheme. Much better now

1 Like

Really needs to be something the emulator can do rather than having to remap your switch, but better than nowt.

1 Like

Totally, I’ll need to undo it to play anything else

Spent 90 mins with GoldenEye this evening. Not touched it since sometime around 2006. Some thoughts:

• It’s still fucking great fun

• It’s really fucking great fun

• It doesn’t hold your hand at all. Two objectives on Surface on Agent difficulty, one of which is ‘disrupt communication to the bunker’. No hint as to what you have to do, which is find a key in one random hut, go to the big satelite dish, open a hidden room, and shoot up the radio. That was a frustrating twenty minutes.

• Old fashioned controls are fine once you get into the swing of them…

• …but the hack to do more modern controls does work…

• …until you do multiplayer. Then it reverts back to the old fashioned control scheme within the game. If you’ve dicked around with the Switch’s control settings, multiplayer is incredibly tough. Nothing makes any sense. Your little brother will then laugh at you as he kills you again and again while you’re staring at the floor.

4 Likes

Wtf!? The control remapping doesn’t carry through to multiplayer, despite it being set per controller in the switch settings?

Yep. Because you’ve done the controller mapping in the Switch settings, then you have to go into GoldenEye and then select a particular control scheme. You can’t select a control scheme in multiplayer so it reverts back to standard controls BUT with the weird controller mapping you’ve got set up. Confusion all round.

EDIT: Turns out you can select whatever control scheme you want in multiplayer, but no-one’s ever done it before because this has never been an issue. Stupid Nintendo.

2 Likes

I’m halfway through the Campaign on Secret Agent and having a good time. Brings back a lot of memories and I am blitzing through a lot of these levels. Getting harder now Natalya is getting in my way loads :person_facepalming:

Good guide to remapping the controls here for the Campaign

1 Like

*Deleted because I didnt read your update saying you’d discovered you can change multiplayer controls :smiley:

1 Like

I’m enjoying Goldeneye a lot but I’m still playing on Agent and even though controls are better I’m still way off how good I was back in the day with my n64 controller. I think getting the cheat for doing Facility on 00 agent in 2:05 might still be my favourite achievement. My accuracy with target aim is just crap and you really need this for later on

1 Like