Nintendo Switch Thread 2024

It’s really hard to hold the reticule still when aiming down the scope. It was always a bit tricky but it was built for the N64 controller. Modern sticks can’t seem to cope with it so well.

I found myself playing the game without using aim at all, but I know that thisll be an issue later on

1 Like

I feel like the n64 stick sensitivity must be a bit different, and you can’t adjust that. If they would just do a proper non limited run of those switch n64 controllers I’d snap one up

1 Like

For 00 agent you almost have to just go for head shots as the enemies take way more to kill

1 Like

Probably not going to touch the N64 stuff until I can get one of those Brawler 64 pads tbh

I don’t know why the N64 controls on Switch don’t replicate the controller, and have the 4 buttons be the yellow arrows, the left stick the analogue stick and the triggers the A & B buttons.

I used the Yellow buttons in Goldeneye so much to strafe and get the aiming height right. Miss them tons on this version

1 Like

Was completely lost with the controls for the first twenty minutes of playing Goldeneye on Friday. And then, oddly, it suddenly made sense and my muscle memory from 1998 kicked into gear! It holds up really, really well as a game.

I think the retrospective revisionism of it dating horribly is massively overstated.

4 Likes

I’m in bed off work ill today but I’ve just found this so that’s my morning

There’s also a very good official (but leaked) 25 minute documentary from Rare about the game here:

3 Likes

That’s next up!

It’s really interesting to hear from the devs. It must have been so much fun working at Rare back then, even with the crunch.

Something that comes up a fair bit in that official documentary is how there wasn’t really a hard-and-fast deadline for GoldenEye’s release. The film came out at the cinema, then on VHS, then they thought maybe they should get the game out the door possibly, ha.

Having said that, they did live in the office to get the work done.

I guess crunch is the wrong term as you’re right there was no deadline as such. They just mention several times how many hours they were working. It’s more a labour of love then. Or maybe just indirect pressure, with everyone putting the effort in you feel you need to do the same

Yeah, it’s more of a cultural thing (not just at Rare, but across the industry). No-one tells you that you need to be at your desk 14 hours a day, but everyone knows that it’ll be noticed if you’re the only one not there.

I’ve just got to the bit where they tell you the entire game was on a 12MB cart. This sort of thing always amazes me. The original Super Mario Brothers was something like 50kB?

1 Like

39-40 kilobytes. the game code (incl music) was about 31k and the graphics were about 8k.

The entire level data for 1-1 is just this (level layout first, then enemy data)

L_GroundArea6:
      .db $50, $21
      .db $07, $81, $47, $24, $57, $00, $63, $01, $77, $01
      .db $c9, $71, $68, $f2, $e7, $73, $97, $fb, $06, $83
      .db $5c, $01, $d7, $22, $e7, $00, $03, $a7, $6c, $02
      .db $b3, $22, $e3, $01, $e7, $07, $47, $a0, $57, $06
      .db $a7, $01, $d3, $00, $d7, $01, $07, $81, $67, $20
      .db $93, $22, $03, $a3, $1c, $61, $17, $21, $6f, $33
      .db $c7, $63, $d8, $62, $e9, $61, $fa, $60, $4f, $b3
      .db $87, $63, $9c, $01, $b7, $63, $c8, $62, $d9, $61
      .db $ea, $60, $39, $f1, $87, $21, $a7, $01, $b7, $20
      .db $39, $f1, $5f, $38, $6d, $c1, $af, $26
      .db $fd

E_GroundArea6:
      .db $1e, $c2, $00, $6b, $06, $8b, $86, $63, $b7, $0f, $05
      .db $03, $06, $23, $06, $4b, $b7, $bb, $00, $5b, $b7
      .db $fb, $37, $3b, $b7, $0f, $0b, $1b, $37
      .db $ff
5 Likes

My kingdom for a crumb of TotK info. A Direct must be coming soon.

If I were to guess, I’d say second week of Feb - there’s usually something around then and would have thought they’d want to talk first half of 2023 before the Kirby remake comes out.

Jeff Grubb was saying everyone is expecting a Feb Direct

I’ll probably get in trouble for this but…

…happy Nintendo Direct week, everyone

1 Like

Silksong
Mario Odyssey 2
Advance Wars sudden unannounced drop
Bombrush
MvC2 remaster
MGS2 Switch
Free hand jobs

Preorder codes have just shown up on retailer websites so it’s quite possible we might finally see Advance Wars