Nintendo Switch Thread 2024

Kind of in a gaming rut at the moment.

Feel guilty about big games I’ve left half finished (FFVII, DQXI, RE4). Feel guilty about endless games I’ve barely scratched the surface on (StS, SV, DC). And I have a backlog of tonnes of other things because apparently just collecting games hits my dopamine receptors more than playing them.

Only thing I’m playing recently is Mushihimesama, but even that is kind of unsatisfying because I’ve hit a wall and not sure I’ll ever crack a 1cc on the arcade mode.

Just find it hard to commit to anything, can only ever play after like 10pm when I’m too knackered and braindead to really do anything

2 Likes

Love ARMS. Not sure its worth £50 as there isn’t tons for a casual single player who just enjoys an hour in it, BUT its like Streetfighter 2 and if you get deep into the mechanics and online, then you could sink hundreds of hours in feasibly.

One of the most colourful, inventive, stylish, awesome sounding, smoothly playing and original Nintendo games in years. And the side games / bonus modes are great fun. I have spent more time on the shooting gallery minigame than I have in other whole games.

I’m the same. I’m just filling this month with whatever fills the time or hoovering up films. I’m pretty sure that Elden Ring will be the game that hooks me back in.

Take time out and do something else if you’re bored. There’ll be something else along at some point

2 Likes

Speaking of, this made me laugh:

Miyazaki, who also directed Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, admitted that: “While making [Elden Ring] I rediscovered my love for making poison swamps.”

“I know how people feel about them, but you know, suddenly I realize I’m in the middle of making one and I just can’t help myself,” he told the publication. “It just happens.”

7 Likes

Yeah, just need to rid myself of the guilt. I’ve always told myself the backlog is a promise to my future self, a little vote of optimism for days of relaxation and plenty, but it’s really just a waste :pensive:

Yup, I have always in the past beaten just about every single game I have bought. But that changed with Switch and the sheer volume of things I bought cheap. And is exacerbated further with Gamepass.

But I wouldn’t kick myself for not watching every TV show? Or listening to every album on Spotify?

Its just a period of adjustment I reckon. We supported those developers who did something interesting and hope - one day that we’ll see what they made. And if we don’t… well, does it matter?

1 Like

Fancy some primo platforming. Which of these should I go for?

• Super Duper Mario Bros Wii U On Switch (never played before)
  • Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (played on Wii U; can’t really remember)

0 voters

It’s crap mate

I love Donkey and the Kongs but I thought Tropical Freeze was a bit shit

Which one? 3D or 2D?

New Super Mario U on Switch - there are far better 2D platformers and I’m a huge Mario fan. Yooka Laylee, Rayman, Donkey Kong.

Super 3D World - yes this was a lot of fun - plenty of challenging late game stuff and the cat power up of course is great

3 Likes

Noted thank you dude

Will be xbox/pc exclusive anyway

Oh good point.

I picked up Shin Megami Tensei V at the weekend. Never played an SMT game before and wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but was in the mood for some challenging RPG combat, and… it’s sure got that. :sweat_smile:

I’m about 5 hours in and I just beat the first boss. It took me about 6 attempts last night to work out a strategy. I quite like how much it ups the stakes knowing that a single bad move could wipe out most of the party - it definitely forces you to understand the mechanics better when you’re always so close to game over. Almost like Dark Souls, really…

2 Likes

never gone hugely down the JRPG route myself outside of FF games, which is why i keep thinking about buying XC2… shin looks really great.

1 Like

XC1 is much better tbh

2 Likes

i guess i start there (plus it’s cheaper) then if i’m a zealot about it, get 2

You dont need to play them in order and theyre a bit like FF/DQ in that theyre seperate worlds/stories/characters anyway.
XC2 is very good dont get me wrong but they went overboard on the systems in the game. Its system stacked on system stacked on system and none of it is explained in game particularly well. Pluss rather than battling directly you use ‘Blades’ which are kind of like Pokemon in warrior form - but the way to get these is locked behind a VERY infuriating gacha mechanic and theres many points in the game where you just wont be able to progress until youve lucked out with having the right Blade, with the right skill etc

XC1 by comparison is much better in its mechanics, better story, better flow and the world is just better to explore imo.And the new Prologue in the Switch version is surprisingly great.

2 Likes

Also, XC1 has the best gaming soundtrack of all time® which pulls your through whenever it gets a bit dull.

I think XC1 also added some clever things that streamline the game if you get a bit bored… I think it;s something like they speed up battles, let you skip them or auto level for you?

1 Like