Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

The map doesn’t unlock too much… you just get to farm more and go on find/fetch quests and some simple mine/dungeon escapades

1 Like

damn wish I hadn’t already pretty much beat stardew on PC and beat Axiom Verge on PS4, both great games.

1 Like

Mark ur calendars

1 Like

I have a sword now. Get me.

Dungeon crawling/mining is probably when your progress starts ramping up. Didn’t realize you hadnt found the mine until now :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve not really got into the mines yet. Thought I was being clever so saved up all my money and brought loads of plants at the start of summer and now lose over half my energy just watering.

Will explore the mines more on the next rainy day.

Also trying to get some maple syrup from a tree so I can get a beehive.

Think it’s great that this is coming out on the little Switch. On the other hand, I’m terrible at FPS and they often sit around unplayed in frustration, so not sure I can justify paying full price for it

What’s the chances of The Witcher 3 coming out on Switch at any point? I keep getting Steam notifications saying it’s gone on sale, but I’d really prefer to play it on Switch if that ever happens.

What is fascinating is that devs have realised that not only can things run on the Switch pretty well (I mean, Doom is a pretty machine-hungry game) and that those who want it wil easily pay for it at a reduced graphical performance because the hardware configuration makes playing games on it so attractive!. Honestly, I can’t imagine ever going back to a console that can’t do this hardware style.

Mark my words - they will announce in a few years “The New Nintendo Switch” and it’ll be a larger screen, bigger battery, faster processor and all that stuff… and sell it without the JoyCons, so that us all first gen buyers can simply swap the screen out - it’s the first modular console.

2 Likes

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing - it’s worth getting into the mines relatively early in the game so you can start upgrading your tools and things, but you’ll appreciate the fact you invested in crops come winter.

That’s my hope too. So what I’m hearing is “Yes, they will absolutely 100% port it across, and you should wait for that wonderful day. Please feel free to blame me in future if this does not happen.”

1 Like

Maybe but feel like I am just grinding it out at the moment. Get up water plants and then forage or fish for a little bit as I don’t have enough energy to do much else.

Buy some salad from the saloon, if you do some mining and make it around level 100 you get a substantial energy bar buff

Yeah it’s tough at the start.
Once you have a kitchen and can cook food the amount of energy you get goes up.
That said you can still do bursts of mining. Make it 5 levels to the next elevator each time etc.

This is basically the way I played on rainy days - go mining, try and get 5 levels deeper. Fall asleep 4 levels down, lose my sword, kick myself, get back to farming.

2 Likes

Fairly convinced about the modular thing. Have geekily asked The Computer Game Show and NVC podcasts about it and both agreed. Just don’t see a need for Nintendo to deviate from this model for years to come. If the JoyCons are accurate enough sensor wise, the machine can reproduce all Nintendo games up to Wii U.

1 Like

There seems some complications there though. If the V2 update is part of this gen, then having Nintendo Switch games that can’t run on the V1 Switch could be a bit of an issue.

And if it’s the next generation, how likely is it for Nintendo to rest on their laurels to the extent that they just update the processor in the current console? If you extend the size of the screen, will the joycon still attach? They’re made to fit the console.

Feel the modular thing defintiely makes a lot of sense, but wouldn’t say it’s without it’s challenges. Perhaps the “modular” Switch could become their handheld in the long run, while their next major home console launch could be a VR machine…

I can see it being modular in that you change the design of the existing switch. Many people wanting a joy con with a dpad to come out for example. Sure you wont have 2 joycons capacle of playing multiplayer but for those who want it as a single player portable can be catered to.

Thats the modulation future I see.

1 Like

Yeah, that kind of thing, at a minimum seems fairly likely. Could imagine a version with 1080p screen and improved battery too

A version with a different processor? Possible but seems to involve a lot of cons/diminishing returns for Nintendo as it hits saturation

Interesting development. Its not the playstation division but it’s the first time since Playstation has existed that sony have published games for rival consoles [PC doesn’t count]. They’re obviously going to be smaller titles/indie style games but it’s still interesting.