Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

Orzly are your friend for both

4 Likes

The Orzly glass protector is definitely the best. Switched to it from different plastic protectors and it almost looks better with it on than the actual screen alone, thanks to how dust and finger print proof it is.

Loads of people have got that Orzly case, but it looks like an absolute brick to me, good if your going to be carrying multiple sets of joycon etc. but too bulky for my needs (Switch, Joycon, games). I like the official case, as it’s slim and has a stand - because the kick stand on the Switch is useless. It’s also got slots for game cartridges etc. Very happy with it, but sure others are cheaper and have the same feature (probably even better executed tbh).

2 Likes

Looks more appropriate for me too! Can you adjust the stand on it at all or are you limited to just one angle?

One angle, unfortunately. Though I wanted something to put on the little tray on flights and it works fine for that. Maybe someone else has made a better version of the same concept

I got the Official case and an Amtek (I think) glass screen protector. The case is good and the screen looks better I’d say with the protector on.

Hope the Wolfenstein II port is good. The PS4/Xbox version looks great

This is one I’ll probably grab on PC when the price drops. Does look bloody good.

Got the same combo. Works great for me.

Pretty sure this code should still work for 15% off Orzly stuff (even through amazon)
ORZ15NSW
if anyone’s getting screen protectors soon.

1 Like

Struggling with Zelda. So fiddly.

It’ll take a bit of time. Can seem overwhelming at the start. You’ll be okay.

1 Like

The combination of more stamina, more hearts and better control of Link comes naturally and quite quickly. It’ll start to click soon.

Having a break and playing some Odyssey.

It helps when the weapons become more robust and you have more slots and aren’t forced to swap all the time. But I would say mastering the quick access menu for the weapons and stuff really helps. I used the menu to swap for a little while which was annoying. It doesn’t take too long for it all to gel. By 170 hours it’s like muscle memory!

1 Like

It has definitely grown on me and it is less fiddly. Coming from ps4 where the bottom button is pretty much the main button and on switch the same button is cancel has been a huge adjustment.

I do remember being narked quite how shit I was initially and how it felt my last of mastery of the controls were to blame. I think because of the nonlinear design you do encounter difficulty spikes very early which is a bit unfair. Conversely once you’ve mastered it later on the difficult doesn’t rise much and it starts to feel easy! It’s never unenviable though. If you are getting sick of one area you can decide just to go somewhere else

I’ve just started and got to Kakariko Village and honestly feel a bit…disappointed? I’m not sure - it looks amazing but I feel a bit detached from it - the world feels a bit empty and it seems to have a bit less character than previous Zelda games which had real identities and atmospheres. I’m only encountering one type of enemy out in the open (maybe because I’m early on - it’s just 'throw a bomb and pick off the stragglers) and although people talk about the size of the world…it just falls a bit flat for me with long expanses.

I’m guessing it picks up? Interesting that they’ve moved away from temples to shrines…maybe I was expecting a classic Zelda game as it feels like they’ve really tried to move away from the time-honoured themes, kind of feels like ‘Zelda does Dark Souls’ (especially with the weapon break mechanic which can do one, and the lack of score for a lot of the game). Sorry for the long post - just trying to process my thoughts on it!

2 Likes

Well I loved it more or less from the start and the path I took saw me encounter various enemies along the way. I had some of these issues with it though, for sure, but rather when I hit 40-50 hours in. Then the final 1/3 of the game was utterly joyous and I overlooked them.

Some of the things you miss? They’ll arrive in some form or another, if you make the effort to go find them or chance upon them. There are some dungeons and lengthier shrines too, but nothing as chunky as the larger ones from the last few 3D Zelda’s.

Stick with it though for a bit longer. Many of the things you dislike so far will come to make sense or become less of a barrier in a few hours time.

(This is probably like when people say to me 'Give Game of Thrones 2 series then it starts to get REALLY good. And I’m, like… 20 hours to start being good? I’m out…)

1 Like

Yeah I can remember being a bit like that. I got to kakariko about 8 hours in. The great plateau is very barren and there is no grand opening to give it a kick start.

The lack of enemy variety is a shortcoming with the game but you will encounter a few more if you’re that early on. I don’t think it is a major problem. Also, when get get more weapons and discover quite how adept the physics engine is you suddenly realise the number of ways you can defeat enemies is mind boggling. That keeps the interest up. It wasn’t until I saw a few videos of what people were doing that I saw how basic my attacking was.

The lack of score I can see. I think it is intentional and actually really like it. You spend so much time in the open with that ambient soundtrack I think I’d get quite tired of something more full on and melodic. And it fits the general themes of the (exploration, nature etc…). That said I think the balance is a bit off and some more actual tunes would be better.

1 Like

Sounds good - it did sound a bit moany that post but I am enjoying it and absolutely will be ploughing on and completing it!

I do like certain aspects (such as the lack of score) but I think I’m just in a bit of a shock of how different they’ve played it to other Zelda games in some respects so just adjusting. I think if it was not called Zelda and I didn’t have those expectations I’d be raving about it (and probably will be in 10 hours time)

1 Like