Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

Yeah, my wild guess is that much like the 3DS XL or the new3DS, Nintendo will have a revision of the Switch in a few years time with better battery life and if VR stuff is increasingly popular, better capacity for that.

It is concerning though, their seeming lack of focus on what they want this thing to do.

I don’t think they intend it to do VR at all on Switch tbh - it’s looks to me like a stock response to an investors question to reassure them that Nintendo are still taking VR into account in their wider strategy, but they don’t think it’s appropriate technology at the moment.

They made similar noises about HD throughout the Wii launch from what I recall.

1 Like

Not even supporting 4k is it?

Some would say it barely supports 1080p!

never change nintendo! still think the thing looks great though

because they don’t make or sell TVs they don’t care about pushing 1080p or 4K… unlike sony etc - does it look good, yes. on games that matter they manage to keep a smooth framerate n that.

i don’t really know anything about this but my mate had double dash scaled up to 4k on an emulator and it was well better than running it on the gamecube :+1:

and yeah but like 1080p is absolute standard issue tv now. not expecting them to push new technology but at least keep with the times

please give me more info on scaling up older games, if this is a thing? metroid? mario galaxy?

It’s definitely a thing, only played double dash but it worked like a dream. I’m not a tech nerd but I will try and remember to ask my mate. Or maybe someone else in this thread understands how it works. I presumed it was magic.

New ad which shows the different “modes” and what the joycons have. It’s actually fairly slick and does a pretty good job of explaining it all, apart from the potentially-very-problematic battery life. Just needs more games!:

It does look dead good from that, it’s just the games like you say

Definitely hyped for this again. In all honestly, I think my main complaint was that it wasn’t as cheap on release as I’d hoped it to be on but it still isn’t really a bank breaker either. Personally, since I didn’t have a Wii or Wii U there should be plenty of games for me to play on it.

1 Like

How does it barely support 1080p? It has games already that output at native 1080p/60fps and we’re still only launch window. Not even all PS4/XB1 games output native 1080p…

1 Like

Increasingly excited about my preorder now, though still annoyed by the lack of concrete info relating to VC, e shop and online play.

Booked the 3rd off of work to sit in my pants waiting for Zelda.

2 Likes

Oh furryboy… I was commenting in jest.

Ok, bit too subtle …

1 Like

Nearly preordered one today.

BUT WHY?! I own Mario Kart 8! I’ve bought Zelda already! Splatoon 2 looks the same as Splatoon 1!

Just think it looks like a great bit of kit and the more podcasts I listen to by people who’ve tried it hands on, the more it sounds really promising.

I thought pre-orders already sold out? Gamestop have been cancelling some pre-orders due to lack of stock.
But that is Gamestop and they’re fucking stupid, so…

Still seem available most places

going to tank badly I fear.