Nintendo Switch - Super Smash Bros Direct 1st Nov

ahahahahaha brilliant

Is it true that in game chat is gonna be done via phone app?

I have a wii u. Will Zelda look significantly better on the switch?

Not clear. There’s an app involved somewhere in the online experience, but whether it’s compulsory or just enhances what’s built into the console hasn’t been cleared up by Nintendo.

Honestly, I think you’d have to really love the concept of the Switch to buy one on release if you already owned a Wii U. All the big release games are just ports. Think Bomberman is the only new game? The launch is saved by the Wii U having sold so little that for most people Zelda and Mario Kart might as well be new exclusive titles.

1 Like

The more I think about it the more ridiculous it is to launch a console without having finished any games for it apart from some sort of tech demo and flipping Bomberman. Only Nintendo…

The PS3 launched (admittedly not worldwide) with a similarly thin set of titles. Again, just like the Switch, only one of them was considered Triple A quality as well, with the other four ranging from okay to trash.

Genji: Days of the Blade
Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Sega Golf Club

I am regularly surprised quite how much launch lineups are criticised. They are never full of AAA games, it’s nothing new. Oh, and the eShop titles don’t seem to get a mention in any launch lineup discussions for some reason. In the long run it matters little, the situation at Christmas is far more important to the future success of the console.

You can call Zelda a port if you like, but it’s coming out the very same day on both platforms so it’s not quite the same is it? It’s not like you’ve already played it. And really, it has to be one of the biggest launch games of any console.

As has been said, it is helped by the fact that the Wii U sold so badly. It makes perfect sense for them to spend a fraction of the normal development time to port a game that is very good but few people played due to it being on a terribly received platform. I just hope they are able to cook up some meaty new stuff as well.

It is daft that a single game takes up more space than is available yes. But I really struggle to see the argument in buying a game that is available physically, especially with the Switch. The download price is always more expensive than buying physically (I have never understood this). You can’t resell once you’re done with it. The gamecards are tiny, so they don’t take up a lot of room anyway. As they are solid state there will be no difference in loading times compared with downloaded games.

Really, unless you absolutely don’t want to carry gamecards round or you have to get it right there and then and not wait for the shops to open, and you still want to pay more, why would you download?

Don’t get me wrong, as I don’t have a Wii U, getting Mario Kart and Zelda as launch games is as good as it gets. But it still seems strange not to have any new games ready for the launch of their system. Obviously holding stuff like Mario back for a Christmas push, but still…

1 Like

Yeah. I’m over the moon with the launch as Zelda and Mario Kart are sort of the reason you buy a Nintendo console. But those who bought the Wii u are basically paying a premium to play games they can alrady owns.

1 Like

Owning a Wii U already, Zelda doesn’t bother me particularly - I’ve got a choice. Personally I want it portable and will get a Switch eventually (when I can afford) so I’ll wait to play it. (Portable Stardew Valley and Mario as well). Mario Kart does stick in the craw a bit though… It’s a good game - one of the better incarnations of MK and well worth £40-50 fresh, but really not if you already own the original + DLC. I hope Nintendo do something with the eShop that allows people who owned the digital version or DLC on Wii U to get a discount on a digital copy, but I’m not expecting it to happen.

This is out next week! I think I’m going to wait until at least Christmas before getting one. If the Switch version of Zelda is the better one, I will wait till I get a Switch to play it and not buy the Wii U version.

I really resent that Nintendo have repeated the Twilight Princess scenario, but there you go.

Got a launch day pre-order in, which I’m a little ambivalent about. I decided to get rid of my PSVR because time/family life meant I hardly ever got to use it, so I have some gaming funds to spend…PSVR was such an incredible, game-changing experience and I loved it. However, Switch is much more compatible with my actual life. Just feels slightly anti-climatic in comparison.

That said, I missed out the Wii U so looking forward to playing the updated versions of those games as well as exclusives, although I can see why you’d be less keen on Switch if you’d had a Wii U.

(This wasn’t meant to be a specific reply to OM!)

@1101010 theo can you sort out that autoplay video, ta

Fixed.

2 Likes

Oops. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Ive caved late and preordered. Seeing the sheer size of Zelda kinda win me round, and as someone who doesn’t have a tv anymore the switch seems perfect for my way of gaming. Plus, I never got the Wii u and so am actually well excited for Mario kart and splatoon. Bit annoying that Mario kart isn’t out for a while though given its just a port

arghg didn’t think i cared about this or the wii-u but new zelda fffuuu

Isn’t Mario Kart a launch title?