NME - a true decline

They dump it off at my uni. Never seen anyone pick up a copy, not even to kill time.

50 he’s working to a 15 album maximum profit plan

4 Likes

The future’s bleak!

shall we take guesses on the next two titles? An emo record called “-” (“Minus”) and then a greatest hits package called “=” (“equals”).

1 Like

i predict his greatest hits album will be called > and this will be the album cover

7 Likes

I wish I kept some of my old copies. My Dad sold them all. Like others, I always bought the trinity of MM/NME/Sounds every week, probably first copy was 90 or 91, I loved Wednesdays.

NME wasn’t perfect and it’s easy to look back with rose tinted spectacles, but they are now essentially what Smash Hits was back in the day to be honest.

1 Like
  • x > - > = > <

Why the fuck does a plus appear as a dot? I hate you new DiS.

I am guessing, shorthand ‘BB code’ to make a list. Similar to how putting * round text makes it italic

Everyone who used to read it will have a different idea of when the decline started. For me the slow death started ~2005, when Arctic Monkeys started to get huge despite having never previously been mentioned in the NME. They panicked and overcompensated, becoming more obnoxious than ever while championing some atrocious music.

18 Likes

I agree with you.

For me its worse than Smash Hits though. At least Smash Hits did its job; it catered for early teens that like pop and gave away posters for your bedroom wall. The NME obviously still are trying to hold on to their indie kid readers whilst trying to cater to teenyboppers too. When you try to be all things to all people you generally become nothing to anyone.

Conor McNicholas was the death-knell of the NME.

11 Likes

It’s rubbish, yeah, but I’m wary of criticising it too much as I’d stopped buying it at least six or seven years before it became a freebie. You get the product you pay for I guess, and if you’re not paying for it then you can expect it to get worse.

Yeah, a plus and a greater than together at the start of a line and it thinks you want a bulleted list. I don’t get a preview on mobile so didn’t spot that but I won’t be making that mistake again I tell you.

to an extent, but it rallied under krissi murison. im kind of bored of people saying its high point was the mid 90s, when they read it, and that after they stopped reading it it became crap, coz how would they know if they werent reading it? the beginning of the connor mcnicholas years was fine, until they started pushing all those shit post-libertines band and it became really laddy. but then they relaunched in 2010ish and it was really good again for a bit. it has gone fully shit since going free though, like really, really shit. it should be competing with diy and the skinny but as it is its aiming for shortlist and still missing

2 Likes

I “like” their page on Facebook, and my god there isn’t half some shite clickbait going down. It’s that “lowest common denominator” thing I got at in the music journalism thread a few weeks back.

tl;dr everything’s shit

6 Likes

I think I follow them on Twitter. And it’s loads of lists. ‘20 indie anthems from 2006’ and the like.

Really hope he does this, then gets sued by BEAK>: