NME - a true decline

To be fair, there is a difference between a monthly and a weekly. It’s even harder for weekly magazines to compete with the internet, I think. Those monthlies also cater to an older audience perhaps more wedded to physical media.

Nobody has read nme since 1995.

Nobody.

3 Likes

True - I continued to buy it occasionally beyond that but only for the crossword. I bet even Trevor Hungerford doesn’t get a look in in the new version (which might actually be based on the “Look-In” mag from the 80s)

Smash Hits went through the same decline though and look where that is n…oh…

Spent many a GCSE Business Studies lesson doing the crossword :smiley:

3 Likes

I subscribed to it when I was about 13, I remember the first cover was when The Verve had reunited…so about 8 or 9 years ago, and read it for about 3/4 years. It taught me that you have to go searching a bit for music you like, rather than waiting for it to fall in your lap. I found an old iPod from that era the other day and it was filled to the brim with ‘landfill indie’. They made being in a band look quite romantic to a 13 year old living in Shropshire

1 Like

had a flip through the ed sheeren one. I was quite surprised how little music writing there was in it.

Pizza toppings?

http://www.nme.com/eats-and-beats/pizza-hut-pulled-chicken-2016916

Shit suitcase.

1 Like

Is that real? Surely someone has spoofed that up?

It’s from the “Eats and Beats” series. All about eats. And beats.

1 Like

I knew it was bad, but jeez

1 Like

Maybe their fortunes will reverse if Terris reform. The NME had a lot of sway with me back in the day. I turned up early and saw their championed band at The Astoria many many years ago in the hope that they were on to something. Not so. A waste of time.

Still then they should have just gone monthly. Right now they are quite simply not a music magazine. But a culture and celeb free news pamphlet and a not very good one at that.

Im sure they would have survived just fine if their content was worthwhile but the truth is it just simply wasnt. They never grew with their audience and having to market to new audiences of bored teenagers becomes harder when you are competing with the Internet and have such a diverse and fragmented music market.

1 Like

I actually think their under the radar section is pretty decent (and have discovered one or two bands through it) but maybe its just not financially viable for the whole magazine to be like this.

i read it around 2002/2003 when i was in high school and i remember the whole new rock revolution thing. bit embarrassing really. they genuinely thought the vines were going to be the biggest band ever.

Yep, New Pizza Express for all your cheese-on-toast needs… Slowly dying on its thin 'n crispy arse.

Stormzy is not happy with them and has a point to be fair

3 Likes

He totally has a point, hasn’t he?

This Shortlist-wannabe lifestyle rag really has no value, does it?

Isn’t this a bit of a Storm(zy) in a tea cup

I don’t know if The Internet necessarily means the death of print. I still love three or four quality magazines, bit i stopped loving the NME when it became one. For me it lost its identity when it changed format from newspaper to glossy mag. That was the start of the end. McRatface killed it. Everything since has been face-saving. Might as well be ShortList. Fuck 'em, though. Someone somewhere made the choice to put KoL, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters and the Libertines on every other cover. They lost their core audience chasing sales, so…

Same here. I just don’t know whether I am a dying breed. I’ve said before, I still buy the weekend papers and monthly magazines. Q, Record Collector etc. I just try to get away from being in front of a computer all the time. Sitting with my feet up and a beer reading the reviews is my way of relaxing. Just not the same on a device (for me).

2 Likes