NO RING NO BRING: Wedding etiquette

Apparently Pippa Middleton has instituted the time honoured “No ring no bring” rule for her wedding (i.e., plus ones are only offered to married people to bring their spouse), but Harry will be allowed to breach this and bring his actor girlfriend.

How does DiS feel about No Ring No Bring?

Time honoured?

Sounds like fucking bollocks mate

Really couldn’t give a shit.

Seems a bit off to friends in non married couples.

Plus surely it’s not to keep costs of number of guests down as she’s loaded so why bother?

Well, the whole thing was facetious, but it’s a fairly long-established thing isn’t it?

Small church, apparently.

Poor old Spenny from Made in Chelsea - the best man! - can’t bring his girlfriend.

Not a thing.

That’s what I mean - is this really a thing beyond a couple of over-precious individuals?

I feel the coverage and any references to this wedding makes me want to stave my head in

She must be inviting loads of family or it’s a really small church.

What do normal people do in those situations? Find a bigger church? Invite guests partners to only meal and/or evening do?

I don’t know. I mean at our wedding we couldn’t afford to give out general plus ones, but for some people it felt weird not inviting their partner, so I guess we kind of had that policy but it wasn’t strict or anything.

I don’t feel happy about that phrase one little bit. It’s not time honoured, no one ever phrased things like that years ago.

I’ve never understood inviting people to one bit of the wedding but not the other.

Utter nonsense for tory babyadults obviously.

Also, ‘no bring’ is clunky and shit as a phrase innit

NO LIKEY

No ring, nob ring

It’s so people know exactly how much you like them.

“No thumb, no come”

People with ten fingers only invited

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I get inviting some partners and not others, particularly if there’s space issues, but setting the bar as “you have to be married” rather than something like “been together a long time” or “we’re good mates with both of you” seems a bit 18th century to me.