Nominate One Album That Everyone Should Hear Before Doing Their Year End List

This is definitely worthy of a listen. Start with ‘If I Die and Nothing Happens’. Fabulous listening for the darker months.

Good Typhoon sell! I’ll give them a listen on the drive home.

1 Like

Wilder Maker - Zion. Probably my favourite discovery this year. Great mix of rock, folk and americana.

Here are some nice words about it → You Need to Listen to Wilder Maker's 'Zion,' an Americana Scorcher

Added to download queue, as they say.

1 Like

Been really enjoying this, thank you!

wow, this was fucking magnificent. That perfect mix between stylistic shoegaze guitar textures, Russian Circle type bombastics and float-y dream pop. What a fucking tune “Seer” is. Their Spotify bio sums them up perfectly “four creatures making loud heavy pretty noises”. Going to dive into their debut Realms next, awesome stuff.

4 Likes

It really is. I have to mention @UncleRetrospective as they recommended it in the shoegaze and heavy music threads.

3 Likes

Love Fucked Up, Typhoon and Drug Church so I’m really going to have to give SDF another go aren’t I? Didn’t do much for me which was a bit disappointing as I loved the song with the calzone video…

That new Drug Church album is absolutely brilliant, anyone who likes rock music should definitely check it out before they do their lists.

4 Likes

SDF’s a slow burner but it’s definitely worth putting the time in

1 Like

Since everyone knows Deafheaven and since Self Defense Family has already been mentioned, for a full length I think people should give Tropical Fuck Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace a chance. It got some attention earlier in the year but I think it may have slipped by some people who weren’t following the Drones thread. It’s already a feel-like-shit classic to me. If you like cohesive albums with songs full of dread that build or slow-burn while somehow being really catchy, this is the album for you. It would take a LOT for it to fall out of my top 3 at this point. Great lyrics too.

5 Likes

Just wanna say thanks for posting this. Gave it a listen having never heard it before, the album’s beautiful.

1 Like

Such a terrible name.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it! I was taken from the first listen but it’s only grown on me since then - pretty sure its my AOTY so far.

1 Like

Angelique Kidjo’s reimaginging of Remain in Light. Didn’t think it was possible to remake one of the best record of all time and it not be a disaster but it’s amazing. Great band (Tony Allen on drums!) and her vocals take the songs in new and interesting directions.

1 Like

Going to cheat, as I have already nominated an album in this thread but just thought of a better one - Pastoral by Gazelle Twin…

Following on from Unflesh a couple of years back (which was The Quietus’s album of the year) this has seen her develop both musically and lyrically. The lyrics are squarely and unflinchingly at Brexit Britain. The music is pretty punishing EBM with a few calmer moments - as per the following two:

Drowned In Sound gave it a perfect 10 :+1:

However, this statement from the final paragraph is maybe true…

Sadly, given her reputation as an avant-garde artist, it’s likely that the album’s reach will land on the ears of the already converted. We can only hope this essential work reaches as large and as varied an audience as it deserves.

Would super recommend it :heart:

2 Likes

Must be a reflection of the stuff I read as in my mind I thought Gazelle Twin was a reasonably big artist. I must have totally mixed her up with another artist though as I have GT down as a sort of pitchforky MGMT type band! Time to give her a listen!

1 Like

Get involved :+1:

2 Likes

If people were put off by the last Cloud Nothings album, check out their new one. I nearly didn’t bother but it is a belter.

4 Likes

I really liked the last album but I’m starting to think the new one might be their best. This song is basically everything they do great coming together. That instrumental section is pure urgency and dread.

2 Likes