Nominate One Album That Everyone Should Hear Before Doing Their Year End List

I think everything is relative. She’s not a massive artist (but definitely a fucking wonderful one), but I’ve seen a lot of praise across the web for this album, so I guess in my head I sort of internally disqualified her for this thread, which I sort of had down as ‘stuff not many people know or talked about’.

That said, it’s a bloody great album, and more people should be listening to it.

1 Like

Only just picked up on this album. But it is class

1 Like

Ah, I forgot this:

William Tyler-esque with some more traditional folk near the end (which I don’t think breaks the mood) - listened to it today while bog hopping and earlier this month while crossing the south side of the Yorkshire Dales. Heartily recommended.

1 Like

This is bloody excellent. Released in early Jan, when things are a bit quiet.

1 Like

Mlindo the Vocalist – Emakhaya
Mlindo-The-Vocalist-%E2%80%93-Emakhaya-Album-zamusic
The cover fits the music: sunny, warm and soothing. The whole album played front to back will help you reach full inner peace.

first single: AmaBlesser
that voice: Lengoma
his voice again: Emakhaya

Rae Morris - Someone our there.

This album is a real Gem. Some great tunes and a beautiful voice.

3 Likes

Just listened to this today. Really good!

1 Like

Jeff Rosenstock - Post

2 Likes

Yumi & The Weather s/t

Can’t say i’ve seem any chat about this sadly. Absolutely bangs, lovely voice, heartfelt lyrics, crisp production. Will be in my top 5 easily.

A lot has been covered in here, but I really enjoyed Svalbard - ‘it’s hard to have hope’ this year. Lyrically it was right on point and musically its cracking. Furious delivery, and reminded of Shikari in places (if they had slowed down occasionally) which is always good. Screamo/Post-hardcore whatever.

Got to give a mention to Thou also. Magus was spectacular but feel like i’m still digesting it, however Rhea Sylvia is a stone wall classic (yea its an ep so what). The second side is my most listened to run of three songs this year, and probably favourite of the year. Sludge-Grunge (Slunge?)

That Boy Genius album is in with a shout also - just not had enough time with it yet but it sounds great. Fell for Julien Baker in a big way this year.

Sorry it’s not one.

3 Likes

really liked the mamuthones record

100% with you on Svalbard. Also feels like quite a ‘necessary’ album this year with the lyrical content being right on point.

Love ‘Boygenius’ too but I think it’s stretching it to call it an album!

1 Like

Totally agreeing. I’ve seen her live twice, both gigs were mesmerizing and will be remembered always. Her recent album is also amazing.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I would like to add a Hungarian artist’s recent record to the list. I think it would be a shame if this album of mïus would remain within the borders of my country. I want more people to hear about this project because it is an extremely professional work and high quality music. If you are into electronic music and want to hear some atmospheric and mesmerizing tracks (some of them are instrumental, some of them are with wonderful vocalists from Hungary and Poland) that are mixed with classical and unusual instruments, do not hesitate to spin “Twentytwo 22” by mïus at least once before you’re making your end of year lists.

Spotlight on tracks “Aureola” and “Heavy Heart” for me.

I’m hugely fond of the new Stuart A. Staples record; seems it might’ve flown under the radar a little, but it’s definitely in my top 10 of the year. The ending 30-minute track is gorgeous, with a lovely In A Silent Way mood I find irresistible.

:astonished:

4 Likes

Think I would go for Trust Fund’s album. This has really kind of snuck up on me to be my album of the year, such a shame they have broken up.

2 Likes

Would strongly recommend Ingrid Plum’s album / project Taut. Basically Ingrid interprets and performs scores by an array of sound artists, experimental musicians, visual artists etc.

The scores are presented in a book that is the album w/download, so you can see what she’s working from, which I find super interesting especially as the scores are so variee. Ingrid’s amazinflg vocals lead most pieces, but also electronics, tape-twisting, loops, singing bowl drones etc. It’s cool!

Ooh, haven’t listened to anything by Cath & Phil Tyler since Dumb Supper, need to check that out. And the others :+1:

1 Like