Non-burrito mexican food thread

Are you ok?

i’m a little bit warm and i’ve had way too much coffee so i’m both tired and kind of buzzing. thank you for asking!

1 Like

Nachos are best when you make the nachos yourself from corn tortillas rather than the crappy dorito style ones you buy

1 Like

Me hace triste que no puedo encontrar horchata en este país. :frowning:

1 Like

Burritos are great but a few places down on my list of Mexican options. Probably like fajitas the best for taste:ease ratio. An old work canteen used to do this fajita salad with a tortilla deep fried into the shape of a basket, then all the fajita stuff dumped in it. Boy that was good.

Went to Mexico this summer, the food was extraordinary. Would fly back tomorrow for another Baja fish taco.

4 Likes

I got a big Mexican cookbook last Christmas and the best thing I’ve made from it so far is some dumplings in black bean sauce. The black beans are so easy, just stew a tin of them down with a chilli, some crushed up star anise and salt until they’re all gloopy.

Want to do more recipes from the book but they mostly need crazy ingredients or at the least very specific types of chilli, no idea where to get them from at a reasonable price.

isn’t it funny how the default tacos here for years were the crispy ones
bless us what were we thinking
OLD EL PASSE i call em

1 Like

Not sure there’s much that can’t be improved with fried plantain.

Except maybe a low carb diet.

i’ve bought stuff off here before if we’re doing a big proper mexican meal: https://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/home.php

Is that the big pink book? We bought it and have never made anything cos the ingredients are hard to get hold of / crazy expensive here (even though the author insists you can get everything you need here quite easily). I think one of the recipes was going to cost us about £50 to cook!

Made birria with some nice day-glo red onions and green rice. It was magnificent.

That’s the one. Wanna try some of the grasshopper/cricket ones but unless I get out there with a net it probably isn’t gonna happen

can anyone recommend a good mexican cookbook ?

“The precise origin of the modern burrito is not known”