Non-League Football Thread 18/19 (Rolling)

Went to see Dulwich earlier. @he_2 wasn’t wrong when he told me the other day that the crowd’s so big now you actually can’t see much. A gate of 2900 appazas.

We lost 🤷

Shit me sideways! 2900?? Was that their first game back?

Really pleased they’re back at Champion Hill. Was hoping to get down today but had the bairns. Will be at their game at Hampton in a couple of weeks and will get to Champion Hill at some stage.

2nd. Over 3000 on Boxing Day.

It was over 3000 on Boxing Day. The queues for the bar and toilet were kind of ridic (even though they’ve refurbished the bar meaning you don’t need to queue to the left for ale, and they’ve added a Southey beer tent).

So basically Dulwich is the Field Day of non league football?

Went to Carshalton v Tonbridge today. Tonbridge looked miles better for most of the first half but ended up getting done 3-0, bit of a screamer for one of the goals. Nice ground and clubhouse, free mince pies on offer, would go back.

Very nearly went to that instead of Dorking. I’ll be going to a game in January.

It is a great club house.

But Dorkings facilities are fantastic for that level.

Doesn’t sound like it was a good away day for Manor Farm

Oh interesting, none of our fans have said we looked good at any point of the game.

1 win in 11 now :frowning:

I missed yesterday’s game (0-0 between King’s Lynn and Kettering). I’ve joined a Southern League Central Division Facebook group and it seems like Lynn are the team that the rest of the division are united in hating :rofl:

It pre-dates me supporting them but Angels fans used to despise Kings Lynn for some reason.

Cracking 3-3 this afternoon between Manor Farm and Larkhall. Given everyone must’ve been hungover, was a decent showing.

Man, when you’re down you really get sucker punched don’t you?

Can’t fault the players for effort, they grafted hard and only a 93rd minute winner stopped them getting a point. Think that’s 7 defeats on the trot, can’t see where our next goal is coming from never mind our next win.

Going to start looking over our shoulders before too long.

Can’t really justify the travel time to go to away matches. Which is a shame, as King’s Lynn won 4-1 at Needham Market this lunchtime.

The returning Christie Pattisson with the screamer - he’s signed until the end of the season, which gives the squad a great boost. He was an integral part to the championship-winning squad of last season.

I’ve only done away game (Manor Farm away at Yate) and after all the excitement of cans on the train and stuff it felt like a bit f a waste of time, as there was about 7 away fans, and their ground was shit compared to the Creek. Annoying.

Went to my first non-league game of the season yesterday; Leyton Orient winning 1-0 at home in an understated cockney derby with Dagenham and Redbridge. It was strange seeing that level of football in a ground I’d only ever visited for a 3rd tier match and I was surprised by how terrible the football was given that Orient are top. it was dire and nothing really happened apart from in the last ten minutes or so when both teams were obviously knackered, I wondered how much they’d actually been training over Christmas. Almost witnessed a Thierry Henry-esque wonder goal right at the end when one of Orient’s wingers dribbled from inside his own half, beat about 4 defenders and cut into the box before shanking it over from six yards. It was brilliant. Tempted to go back again before the end of the season but the £18 tickets are a bit off-putting. Was also nice that to see Jobi McAnuff still playing and that’s he’s obviously happy to play at a lower level to prolong his career, although having watched him at Palace in his heyday it was a bit sad.

I lose track as to which of you support step 3 teams?

Anyhow, I was talking on Facebook about promotion / relegation this year and it sounds tough as nails:

• champions for each league go up automatically;
  • 2nd-5th placed teams enter a play-off;
  • there are then two super play-off finals between (a) the winners of the Isthmian League and the Southern League South, and between the Northern Premier League and the Southern League Central.

I think I’m just bitter because King’s Lynn bottled their play-off final last year.

Yeah, I do.

The whole play-off situation is a complete farce and seems to have come as an after-thought by the FA after their brainless re-organisation when the National League vetoed four down from the NLS & NLN. All of which, in my view, means they can whistle for three up from the National League into the Football League.

We won’t be anywhere near the play-offs this season now, currently in a run of 7 straight defeats (9 defeats in 10) - we’re going to be more concerned with staying up if things don’t turn fairly quickly.

Anyway, things could be worse, there will be two leagues at Step 4 or 5 (can’t remember which) that will be holding play-offs regardless of the fact that the winners won’t be going up because there’s not enough spaces at the step above to have them. Don’t know which leagues will be affected, it’ll all depend on points per game averages at the end of the season.

I really got on my high horse over the summer about the whole re-org. Not just because Hendon have been well and truly stiffed travel wise (as it happens and as I thought, it’s actually been quite refreshing visiting other places) when the FA’s stated aim was to reduce travelling for all clubs but it clearly hadn’t been 100% thought through. The play-off news came weeks after the league line-ups were released. They’re a fucking sham of an organisation when it comes to the Non-League game.

Taking a break from the rank depression of Hendon tomorrow and going to go and watch Hampton v Dulwich.

Saw the reverse fixture at Tooting on a blazing hot day in September and Hampton outplayed Hamlet. Think it’ll be closer this time around, neither side is in much form but Dulwich have just transfer listed 6 and Hampton seem to be slowly phasing out some of the ex-Hendon crew that followed the manager in the summer. Looking forward to catching up with my Dulwich pals and hopefully grabbing a chat with the old Hendon boys too.