Non-League Football Thread 18/19 (Rolling)

It’s hilarious. I watched the video on Monday morning expecting to see something horrific, but it’s a freak accident. There’s at least two worse ones in that highlight reel.

Said to our press-officer by email that it’s a classic orange card foul. Yellow pretty much anywhere else on the pitch, but you can see an argument for red purely because it was near that touchline - it’s not unreasonable to argue that in that part of the pitch it “endangers the safety of an opponent”.

With that said, pretty much any challenge along that touchline could have the same result - the pitch really needs to be made a yard or two narrower to move it away from that wall.

I saw Tony Rice yesterday when E was swimming (his boy swims at the same time) and he made that exact point about the vicinity of the perimeter wall to the pitch. A freak accident, did look bloody painful mind.

Taken all my self-restraint not to answer the Beaconsfield fan’s latest tweet with ‘Yes’ from the club account :wink:

1 Like

I think it would have been called off if the snow has started a couple of hours earlier. Made for good entertainment but it’s a miracle nobody was injured

Forgot how listening to radio commentary makes every single pass forward sound like a goalscoring opportunity :see_no_evil: had my heart in my mouth for half an hour at the end but Angels win 3-2, leapfrog opponents Bognor in the process and are back in the playoffs with a game in hand!!! :heart_eyes:

game of the day has to be (promotion-chasing) Haringey v (relegation-threatened) Burgess Hill. Haringey went 2-0 up, Burgess Hill went onto go 4-2 up, only for Haringey to score 2 penalties in the last 2 minutes and finish the game 4-4 :exploding_head:

1 Like

Our game was postponed an hour before kick-off. The visiting team (Alvechurch) are spitting feathers all over Twitter. Not really sure what happened and why it wasn’t called off sooner.

Was at a bit of a loss this afternoon!

Was going to go to Carshalton - Barnet today but sacked it off because i’m busy and important It was cold. Looks like I missed a humdinger

This is always a tough one. Can totally understand the away side being hacked off, but there’s little the home side can do if the match referee chooses to call the game off.

We had a similar thing the other midweek when Weymouth visited on a Tuesday night. At 5:45pm there was no question of the game even being in doubt. 20 minutes later and the pitch was under an inch of snow with plenty more falling. They were very magnanimous, all things considered and got a damn good feed out of the bar giving away free hotdogs, sausage rolls and pies. One of those things at this level.

Hendon got a vital point against Steve Claridge’s title chasing Salisbury side today thanks to a 95th minute equaliser. Will take that after the kick in the teeth we received on New Year’s Day conceding an even later winner against Chesham.

Three unbeaten now, all draws, but definite progress.

My Watford supporting mate went to this and confirmed it was an absolute humdinger of a game. Very tempted by the replay if it’s this midweek.

Absolute stinker this weekend:

1. Was meant to be going to Cherries away at Cardiff, but the ticket fell through (a blessing in disguise arguably).
  2. So lined up a lovely group trip to Bristol Manor Farm. Cancelled due to snow.
  3. Fine lets pub instead. Rugby has ruined pubs for a bit.

Pfft.

Ok, just back in from checking that the moon is still in the sky following York’s first win away since 1782.

2-1 down with 5 minutes to go, volley followed by a probably-in-no-way-suspect penalty to give us the three points. Stick that in yer pipe, Sergio Aguero.

It looks like I’ll be going to the Barnet v Carshalton replay next week. I casually mentioned it to someone at work and he’s potentially up for it.

I also might go to Whyteleafe v Cray Wanderers tonight, free entry with my Palace season ticket. I’m feeling pretty knackered though so i’ll see how that goes.

1 Like

I was at Haringey v Burgess Hill, ridiculous game of football. Went to Haringey vs Brightlingsea last night too, again scored in the last minute, this time to win it. Never dull down at Coles Park…

3 Likes

When is the Barnet replay? Is it the Tuesday night? Kind of hope not as I’d like to go, but am committed to go the Dulwich v Brentford B in the London Senior Cup that evening.

Tuesday 12th 7:45ko

Ah, bugger :frowning:

Will be at Champion Hill that night instead.

And the late late winner against Margate with 10-men a couple of weeks ago. The Haringey machine marches on (after a slight wobble)

1 Like

Dorking look very good from what I’ve seen of them. It’s probably between those two to win the league.

Back to back promotion would be madness but thoroughly deserved for the people who run the club who are absolutely wonderful.

1 Like

So, days after scoring two very late goals to come back from 1-0 down to win, the universe decides we should have a taste of our medicine and has Hereford repeat the trick, scoring twice in three minutes near the end to take the points.

F*ck you, universe.

Sorry, pressed the wrong reply button there, hence the entirely irrelevant interjection to the Haringey chat.

Mind you, the way things are going, we’ll be in the same league soon enough.