Non-League Football Thread (Rolling)

Sadly I can’t make that one as I’m seeing Ariana Grande at the O2!!! but if you can make it, let me know how FABULOUS we are

1 Like

FIXTURES, FA CUP AND FA TROPHY DAY!

[Prepares highlighter]

1 Like

@he_2 and I were sent our fixtures last night for the club site - they’re surprisingly… sensible on the whole? There’s one that I’d question what the league are playing at, but I’m pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

I am rooting for a Friday night fixture. There was one last year and it was totally great. Bumper crowd, all drunk. Smashing.

Guess I’d better familiarise myself with this thread, Yeovil fan here :frowning: . No disrespect to non-league clubs or fans, we had a lot of good years there, just took a 100 years to get into the league and a couple of shite ones to get out of it :frowning: . Can’t believe there are some people alive who don’t know us as a non-league club, just realising that 2003 was 16 years ago, feels like yesterday. Would be nice to go through a season and actually win some games, bit bored of looking at the fixtures and thinking ‘nope, not going to get anything today’, especially once the first goal goes in. A nice 5-4 occasionally would be good, I miss those. Starts to get all wistful about the time we were 3-0 down away to Donny and won 5-4 in the 89th minute in the FA Trophy, and went on to win the thing. Happy days…

Welcome! It’s all warm and fuzzy down here away from the stress of the football league/premier league.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to checking out Horsham’s new ground early on this season. I was thinking about going to the opening game, but that clashes with Palace.

1 Like

I have a hefty clash between first home match of the season and Cherries away at Villa. My loyalties being tested firmly there.

I had some good fun watching non-league but I was in my 20’s and I live in the middle of nowhere now so I probably won’t catch much. Been disillusioned with football for a while now, I think Yeovil’s first job is to make the club feel like part of the community which it has not done for a long time, feels like everyone hates the club.

I was surprised it had been that long since you were non league tbh. We used to drive through Yeovil on our way to holiday and developed a fondness for the club, were always pleased when yous got promoted etc and went to a couple of games too.

Best of luck! :blush: (Also hope you get promoted cos ATM I have only been to 4 league clubs’ grounds :frowning: )

Which way were you heading, Cornwall or Wales?

Did I see you mention Tonbridge, is that Tonbridge Angels? Remember playing them in the FA Trophy a very very very very long time ago. It warms my heart you are a non-league fan :slight_smile:

Watched the Cherries at Yeovil a few times. Always rubbish. Wanted to like them, but found nothing to like. Or maybe I just hated that stand with no roof that allowed the away crowd atmosphere to immediately disappear.

Cornwall! Ended up going to uni there too - terrible place to go to uni if you want to do a bit of groundhopping in your spare time. (Only did Truro and Plymouth Argyle, Plymouth’s ground was so tragic as they were on the brink of death at that point iirc)

Always surprised me that away fans moaned they couldn’t create any atmosphere for their team. Like it’s in our interests to create an atmosphere for the opposition :thinking:. It’s quite funny watching Premier League fans get rained on (although tbf the ones who are willing to go to Yeovil away generally appreciate a standing terrace).

1 Like

Also didn’t you have a car park instead of an away end around that time?

1 Like

This is a very, very good point.

This, also, is a very very good point.

So yeah, October trip to Truro if neither side gets to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup… If that happens, a Tuesday night near 600 mile round trip. Perversely quite up for that if it comes to it.

Tough start away at Weston and we finish at Merthyr so going to have to make sure the league is won the week before at home to Blackfield & Langley.

Could be worse. Amesbury Town v Christchurch is a hell of an away day for the FA Cup’s first New Zealand entrants.

2 Likes

I feel your pain. In 2012 we had Truro away on 1st December. It was fucking freezing and foggy as anything, awful performance and only 13 away fans came along. And two of those (including myself :smirk: ) were only there because they were at university 8 miles away.