Non-League Football Thread - 2019/20 (Rolling)

…FFS… Our pitch, which since 4th January has only been playable during the middle of Storm Dennis, is ruled playable for tomorrow evening’s rearranged game against Eastbourne :see_no_evil:

Relegation threatened Dulwich have suspended playing football for the foreseeable future as well.

Tonbridge fundraiser up to £8.5k (a grand has been donated directly to the club since the page was set up so it’s only showing up as 7.5 on the page itself). Feels like quite fortuitous timing really :grimacing:

The comments underneath the tweet which Dulwich posted their decision to suspend playing football are quite something. So far I haven’t read one that isn’t from a twisted Wealdstone fan.

Would be enormously surprised if the National League isn’t suspended today.

1 Like

If the league is truly suspended and no one is promoted/relegated out of this season, my biggest disappointment is that we’ll continue to share a league with fucking Wealdstone. They’re absolute Neanderthals.

1 Like

And yet, the amount of hot air coming out of Wealdstone if that happens will sustain me, and I suspect @colinzealuk, throughout the entire summer.

I’m really enjoying the fact that they seem to be missing the fact that one of the ways for a club to aguarantee relegation is to not fulfil their fixtures if ordered to by the league.

They’re a silly bunch.

3 Likes

Did anyone see Marc White (Dorking Manager) post match press conference about Coronvirus?

He’s a mad man saying the Premier League and FA were premature cancelling football and instead they should have crammed the fixtures in going weekend and midweek until it gets worse and then close the season. He was also encouraging more fans to go to Dorking to get bumper crowds instead.

I know non league will suffer when games get cancelled but that seems highly irresponsible.

Didcot on the brink :frowning_face:

This is the longest month ever, I cannot wait to get paid so I can donate to my club and others that need a tenner

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/didcottown/news/club-statement-2523487.html

As posted in the main football thread…

Barnet have given notice to all non-playing staff - that’s 60 job losses. Won’t be the last club to go down that route, they’re another that were struggling with their pitch. That said, I’d imagine they get something decent for hosting Tottenham Ladies.

Read a couple of things around Kings Lynn as well - @colon_closed_bracket might be able to shed more light on that.

This is going to be a recurring theme over the next few weeks and months, sadly, unless the FA pull their fingers out and actually bother to act as guardians of the game, as per their remit.

We’ve got a reported £100K shortfall in finances. The chairman is able to cover some of this but we are likely to be in trouble again.

As you say, it seems ridiculous that teams can be at risk for the kinds of sums that represents Premiership players’ weekly salaries.

The National League have created a £17m fund that their 68 member clubs can apply for loans and grants from to cover wages and the shortfall in income over the next few months.

I think I read it equates to approx. £250k per club which should help keep many afloat. This is excellent news and kudos to those that set it up.

With the EFL’s £50m fund, hopefully this’ll help keep the majority of clubs in business.

Where that leaves clubs lower down the pyramid though, that’s still a massive concern.

1 Like

Impressed they’ve found that kind of money. Big thumbs up.

Can’t imagine the Southern League doing much except demanding we play on behind closed doors or some nonsense.

Not sure they’ve created it themselves - The Athletic are reporting they’ve asked the FA for the £17m

Fair point - I refuse to read anything on The Athetlic.

How come?

I find their advertising / promotional stuff all a bit self-righteous / up themselves, much like Sky Sports. Shame, because they have a load of good writers.

1 Like

I’m giving them a swerve as well. I do think we should probably pay something for quality content, but just find their hoovering up of talent and purported aggressive plan to undermine local media a bit…distasteful.

Aware that i’m a massive hypocrite when i listen to their free podcasts and support the squiddiest squid, like.

1 Like

Yeah, I really dislike the aggressive way they’ve gone about trying to sideline local media.

Obviously all non-league clubs are in the same position. But I’ll leave this here anyway.

No surprise, but all leagues at steps 3-6 have been terminated with immediate effect.

The National League want to resume their season at some point, it’s impossible to see how that’s likely to be possible.

No news on whether the season will be declared null and void or decided on a points-per-game basis yet.

Hmm - actually, not quite as crystal clear as I thought.

The statement from the three feeder leagues into the National League reads:

The Alliance Leagues held the latest of several conference calls last night (Monday) after our own board, and those of the Isthmian and Northern Premier Leagues, met over the weekend to determine how we wish to proceed. We have also participated in calls with the Step 5/6 clubs.

End of season

The Step 3 & 4 Leagues share clubs’ frustration that it is taking so long to determine whether the 2019/20 season is to end now, and if so on what basis. To maintain the integrity of our competitions, we ideally need to apply one solution across all of the National League System. However, this may not be possible.

The Southern, Isthmian and Northern Premier Leagues are unanimous in wanting to terminate the 2019-20 season immediately.

Whether that is done on the basis of determining final placings via average points per game, or the season is declared null & void cannot be decided until the National League decides how it wishes to proceed.

Right now, the National League’s position is that they wish to be able to resume the 2019-20 season at some point. The feeder Leagues do not support this because our clubs do not have the financial resources to continue to honour player contracts indefinitely.

The Southern, Isthmian and Northern Premier Leagues have therefore implemented the process to terminate the season. This has to be ratified by FA council , so there may be a short delay as the relevant documentation is submitted, distributed and approved. Therefore, the League’s desire is not the confirmed outcome .

Whilst this process is on-going, and once the National League has finalised how it wishes to proceed, competition issues can then be decided, together with the implications for promotion and relegation.

The usual nonsense with the Conference trying to pretend it’s the same as the football league despite the majority of its clubs having more in common with Step 3 I see.

I think I’d rather see the season voided top to bottom rather than PPG - the former might feel unfair on clubs at the top of each division, but the latter will feel just as hard on those at the bottom - particularly those who’ve just hit a bit of form or are in a tight battle as is often the case.