Non-UK political happenings thread

This is an interesting way for the BBC to frame ‘crippling debt imposed by France’.

Chronic instability, dictatorships and natural disasters have left the country, with a population of 11 million, one of the poorest nations in the Americas.

Yahoo News are now reporting this:

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1412735482757255168

1 Like

Peru update

The JNE has completed its review of 48 claims regarding irregularities during the second round presidential elections and rejected them all. Defeated candidate Keiko Fujimori can appeal the decision of the electoral court. Any appeal will be considered and decided upon in the next three days.

The official proclamation of Pedro Castillo as Peru’s president is expected in the next five days. In any case, the proclamation should come before 28 July, when the next president is due to take over.

1 Like

The proclamation date has been confirmed as 20 July (next Tuesday).

I dunno somehow this information seems a little biased

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Is it okay to say that I hope he fucking dies? Because I hope he fucking dies.

3 Likes

Bolsonaro will die (eventually), we can be certain of this.

7 Likes

Should Bolsonaro have to resign from the presidency due to illness or death, he will be replaced by the Vice President.

Current Vice President is Hamilton Mourão, a former general and member of the far-right PRTB party. He has many controversial views, including his support for the 1964-1985 military dictatorship.

In this scenario the next presidential elections will take place in October 2022 as planned. Only if both the President and Vice President are unable to govern, early elections will be called.

2 Likes

It should be noted that while Fujimori has said yesterday that she will recognize the results, because “that’s what the law and the constitutions I swore to defend mandate”, she continues to maintain that the election was stolen from her: “the electoral court judges will validate a process full of irregularities”.

The JNE proclaimed Pedro Castillo to be Peru’s next president late last night. He will be inaugurated on 28 July.

Peru update

Pedro Castillo took office yesterday calling for a new constitution and a crackdown on monopolies in financial services and utilities.

He said Peru needs to recover sovereignty over its natural resources, renegotiate its free trade deals and said he’ll turn the official presidential residence - which is named after the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro - into a museum

He pledged to respect the nation’s economic model and private property, and said the economy needs order and predictability to prosper.

Castillo had been scheduled to swear in his ministers following the presidential inauguration. But he still hadn’t named any of them yesterday and he postponed the ceremony to tomorrow.

3 Likes

few days after their Olympic officials tried to forcibly take Timanovskaya back to Belarus and the transcript leaked with them telling her ‘this is how suicides happen’

It’s all so seriously fucked up. The political situation in Belarus/Russia/Ukraine - ex Soviet states - is worthy of its own thread on here.

3 Likes
1 Like

Oh.

2 Likes

Now this is podracing

Though I suppose he won’t get back in, and even if he does he’s very likely to dump this promise

1 Like

I can’t speak to Canadian housing markets but stuff like this almost always meaningless. The shortage of affordable housing is because of - shockingly - a shortage of affordable housing, and bureaucratic and regulatory systems that give disproportionate power to those who already own homes. The answer is to literally to build more housing, not tinkering like this.

(and the focus on “foreign investors” is such a weird and problematic thing - visions of scary foreigners buying up all the housing. It’d be ok if they were Canadian investors, then?)

1 Like

Yep. I heard endless reports on Reddit and from Canadian friends about how Chinese investors had taken over Vancouver completely, making it impossible for locals to afford housing there. From the research I’ve seen foreign investors account for only 5% of the housing market there. So yeah, build more homes I guess.

1 Like

Canada had an election yesterday which barely changed the makeup of parliament. Mirrors my observation when I was there last month that most people were irritated that an election was even called.

1 Like

German federal election time!

I have no idea what’s going on, but the greens seem to be doing alright. Good work, Germany!