Non-UK political happenings thread

OK so…

M+KD+L+SD have nominated to keep the current Speaker (M) but have nominated to the 2nd Deputy Speaker position SD’s Julia Kronlid - a creationist & anti-abortionist … great!

They’ve nominated 8 SD politicians to fill functionary/procedural roles in the new Parliament (there are 30 to be filled; 16 go to the majority bloc, 14 to the opposition)

It remains to be seen whether M+KD+L+SD have any dissenting Parliamentarians that will vote against these nominations

Thanks for the update.

Don’t suppose you’ve stumbled across any sort of demographic breakdown / analysis of the election results have you? I took some solace in 2017 and even 2019 in the UK by the fact that young people showed barely any support for the right (let alone far right), but think I read somewhere SD had received a lot of votes from this group this time round.

SD were all over tiktok and it really shows in the Skolval

Not seen any demographic breakdown of the actual election results though

Didn’t even know Skolval was a thing, just looked at the results, fuck that is depressing!

Yep

Especially compared to previous skolval

The Greta effect has worn off then, although at least V haven’t fallen away. Weird surge in KD though?

Just masses of money thrown at tiktok from their comms teams. The algorithm favours the shiny blond & blue eyed influencers innit

Ugh ffs

1 Like

Obv grim but can’t stop laughing at the fake priest

Brazil election first round in a week! :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

2 Likes

So Italy, as expected, has also gone (back to) Fash

brilliant

Italians looking at other right wing governments before the election

10 Likes

Good to be an immigrant living in a fascist country!

Feel pretty confident the coalition will collapse pretty quickly but even so is absolutely shit obviously.

2 Likes

The news articles I’ve read didn’t mention this. Good to hear, I guess.

From wikipedia

Since the end of World War II in 1945, Italy has had 69 governments, at an average of one every 1.11 years.

but this is also Italy’s first far-right govt since then too.

Given that we clearly live in the worst timeline, who knows

The BBC interviewed some Italians this morning, and every one of them described it as a centre-right coalition, but the news I’ve read says its a far-right coalition. Which is correct?

The BBC is known for being incredibly impartial when interviewing foreigners about politics.

1 Like

It is a far-right coalition

3 Likes

That’s what I thought, so either the BBC mistranslated everyone intentionally, or the political spectrums are viewed differently there to here. Gut feeling is its probably the former, but idk.

Come to think of it, sure I read a “she used to be a fascist but she’s not any more” article on there last week.

1 Like

Pretty sure 6music headline has been ‘Italy elects first far right leader since Mussolini’

Berlusconi’s Forza Italia are referred to as centre right, but they are Berlusconi’s Forza Italia with an Italian flag as their logo, so I think you can probably deduce their actual political position from those details. Meloni’s Brothers of Italy are further right, and are the party who have surged. Salvini’s party are even further right still.

BBC using the term far-right here: