Northern Ireland Politics

This has been mentioned in a few different threads, and I know very little about the situation myself, so thought I’d start a thread.

6 Likes

Heavily skeptical that Philip dying will have any impact on anything here but also I am happy to be proved wrong

I have also seen someone say everyone needs to be kind to Unionists today because it’s too rude…

3 Likes

I’ve lived here most of my life and I don’t think I can sum it all up neatly for you. I don’t even understand a lot of it myself. You find that the overwhelming majority of people in this country get on well with each other, happy to coexist without even mentioning what side you’re on. But at the same time, the two largest parties are the most divisive, keeping their power by essentially saying “We’re the only thing keeping the other largest party from getting their way. If you vote for anyone else that’s our argument weakened.” It seems a lot of people get swayed by this fear when it comes to the elections. Frankly they’re all as bad as each other by and large.

As for what’s going on at the minute with the rioting, again a small but extremely loud minority are riling people up with fear about borders along with the SF funeral pissing over COVID rules. Though I think a lot of the people involved just think it’s a bit of fun to go throw rocks at the police.

Most of N.I. Is just getting on with things as normal

5 Likes

Just reading this again, should probably have stated “happy to coexist regardless of what side you’re perceived to be on.”

For example despite my kids being in integrated (both Catholic and Protestant) education, never been inside a church and being 5 and 2 having no thoughts or opinions on a United Ireland or any of the other contentious issues, some people would judge them based purely on their surname’s historic side

2 Likes

Any difference with the riots last night? BBC is strangely just full of royal family news…

Thanks for making a thread about this, I hope you’re all managing to stay safe.

I get the feeling the unrest, even if it is as @hesastopsiiiiign says fairly small, is basically a gift to British (well, English really) media and Westminster. Just seeing the concurrent glorification of the police and military plus “they’re out of control over there” is heading nowhere good.

Exactly.

Last night I tried to check BBC News NI section to see if rioting was still going on, the top 5 stories were all about Prince Phillip (in the NI section specifically!), the riots weren’t covered until the 6th story down. ffs.

1 Like

This fella is a known bullshitter isn’t he? I haven’t seen this reported anywhere else yet

No idea who he is or what his credentials are but I’m not seeing it anywhere official

If he’s bullshitting it’s a pretty irresponsible rumour to spread

3 Likes

If seems somewhat legit?

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or Brits Are At It Again

2 Likes

Fucking hell.

Michelle O’Neil was 2 years old at the time of his assassination. It’s actually mad she was supreme leader of the Sticks at that age.

2 Likes

This is a good piece regarding the recent riots. Funny and depressing in equal measure

1 Like

More disturbance at an interface area.

impressed by the kid who has covered his entire face except his mouth.

covid aside, the eyes are more essential really, aren’t they?

4 Likes

Positive news for once

7 Likes

A promising poll, people on twitter are keen to point out that the polling for a United Ireland is better than Scottish independence had before the referendum campaign kicked off.

I think we’re at least 10 years off the legal threshold being met and when there’s inevitably still a Tory government in power I wouldn’t bet on them calling the referendum in a timely manner. If FF/FG are in power in the South by the time of a referendum that may also hurt our chances pretty badly. All to play for anyways

1 Like

Though only 51% of Southerners would vote for Unity :roll_eyes: Cheers for that, you’ve all been a great help over the years for your fellow countrymen

1 Like