Northern Ireland Politics

2 Likes

I’ll answer this in here so as not to derail the Israel/Palestine thread.

I appreciate it when people express an interest in this. I remember xylo asking this before on here but I don’t remember there being any particular recommendations. I’m not aware of a single good book that covers the 800 year period. There is A Short History of the Troubles by Brian Feeney. From memory it takes the mid/late 60s as its starting point but discusses the partition, gerrymandering and formation of parliament. It’s short enough that there is no excuse not to read it but that also means that it also leaves out a lot of detail, but there’s stuff in it that I bet loads of people aren’t aware of. I’d like to hear what the other Irish dissers think of him though.

9 Likes

The Irish History Podcast is doing a series on the war of independence at the moment. It’s pretty good I think.

2 Likes

Yeah I haven’t listened to the podcast in ages but I must dip back in. Got my mum into it recently and she loves it.

1 Like

just ordered this - my lack of irish history always bugs me - i think someone on here once recommended me an 800 tome which i round in a bookshop in portland once but bought a history of the nfl instead (incredible book fwiw)

1 Like

I stopped listening for ages and recently started again. You can tell he’s got more reseources and production input into it, it’s gone up a notch in the last wee while.

Robert Kee has a good book ‘The Green Flag’ that is a pretty good summary of the struggles throughout the last 800 years if anyone wants to do a really deep dive

1 Like

Paul Givan as First Minister, fuuucking hell. the man is such an awful smug cunt.

1 Like

Can’t see this lasting long. Every day there’s another article about the DUP imploding

Michelle O’Neill and Naomi Long must be licking their lips. If the Protocol remains in place before the next election Poots will be up shit creek without a paddle.

1 Like

Carruthers on BBC NI keeps asking guests to make a binary choice between devolution continuing or an Irish language act, it’s very strange, he’s asked both Colum Eastwood and Naomi Long recently. both have immediately said devolution instead of saying “we should have both of those and it shouldn’t be one or the other”, both have been criticised for it on twitter and both have said “actually i did say both if you watch the full interview” - but both have fallen into the trap of first giving a binary answer that the BBC can then chop out and post on twitter to make an Irish language act look once again like some silly unreasonable demand that will destroy everything. very strange behaviour.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I think you meant to post this in the Cursed British Images thread?

2 Likes

impossible to tell where his hand ends and sausages begin

10 Likes

Scum of the Earth.

1 Like

it’s weird that they allowed everyone to go along for dinner anyway but he just wasn’t allowed to play to them

pair o’ cunts regardless though

1 Like

7 Likes

If anyone was in any doubt that Van Morrison is a piece of shit I hope this sorts it out.
Even if he hadn’t started with the anti Robin Swann shite and his tinfoil hat nonsense being so buddy buddy with Weean Paisley should be a red flag that he’s a dickhead.

And fuck the Europa for hosting this clown knowing full well what the rules are.

2 Likes
2 Likes