Northumberland - Edinburgh: Tourism Advice Thread

Alright DiS

Looking very likely that my good lady TV and I will be making the trip north for a few days in early September. Plan is to head to Edinburgh and stop off on the way (overnight) on the Northumberland coast.

Got any recommendations for places to visit, food to eat, booze to quaff etc?

Are you going by car?

Places to visit:

Druridge Bay for amazing sandy beaches
Warkworth for a castle in a lovely setting
Alnmouth for a cute village with a couple of nice pubs
Craster for the crab pate and walk up to Dunstanburgh Castle
Bamburgh Castle and beach
Holy Island/Lindisfarne - but be aware of the tides!
Farne Islands for Puffins

Going slightly inland there’s Alnwick village, castle and gardens - you could spend a whole day here.

Check what’s open at the moment though - a lot of places are still shut.

2 Likes

LOVE Northumberland, would second Dunstanburgh Castle, Bamburgh Castle, Holy Island, Craster… hell, all of it.

Favourite place in Northumberland is probably the Ship Inn at Low Newton, it’s just a really nice pub in a really nice place with a view of the sea, that’s literally its entire appeal but if you like really nice pubs in really nice places with a view of the sea then I urge you to go there

2 Likes

I’ll let the edinburgers give you advice as to what to do/see/eat in the city as my knowledge is well rusty. However if you’re there for a few days it’s worth a trip up the coast to explore the east neuk of fife. Elie/earlsferry, Pittenweim, anstruther, Crail are all gorgeous. We holidayed there for the whole summer holidays when I was a child- it’s a wonderful corner of the world!

1 Like

I’m going to Anstruther on Tuesday for a fish supper!

1 Like

Really like Edinburgh but can never remember any nice things to recommend really. Go to the National Portrait Gallery, thats always good. National Gallery is worth a stroll too but the Portrait Gallery is better.

1 Like

Low Newton pub is really good walked there last summer from a village nearby but there was a wedding on so we weren’t allowed in. Good pub. Will be back later with all my favourite Northumberland places x

2 Likes

Embleton Beach is my favourite place on earth.

1 Like

Came here to recommend this as well. Fantastic walk and pub

1 Like

What type of boozing and eating are you two into? Can get some great rustic stuff or go super high end once you’re in Edinburgh

:+1:

I’ll work a list up later today! My tastes veer towards the pretentious so, take that into account hah

1 Like

In Edinburgh I’d recommend heading to The Royal Oak to soak up some live folk music. Few other bars round there and a great night out IMO. Also spend some time around the Grassmarket area.

Northumberland, as suggested Alnwick and also Morpeth. Pretty village and it’s on the A1 to easily get back on track.

*all subject to COVID likely ruining the cosy pub vibes