Nottinghamshire Police reveal the secret terms teenagers are using online - How many do you know?

Yeah this.

Typical pattern is person asking for help with legal issue, waifu420 steams in with “IANAL, but…” then confidently gives extremely specific, extremely wrong legal advice, followed by aggressively challenging anyone who does know what they’re talking about.

I have done my time in /r/legaladviceUK.

8 Likes

Should we shut the internet down

• Yes
  • YASSSS

0 voters

I, anal

8 Likes

I actually am, but I’m going to start using this acronym as much as possible now. Might have it as my email sign off.

2 Likes

I’m not a lawyer but I work in a legal firm. At least it’ll be accurate if I sign off with anal

3 Likes

Think a @mods should definitely make that your subtitle.

If firms started signing off all emails with anal it wouldn’t exactly be inaccurate

I think it would solve a lot of my problems ATM

2 Likes

I still haven’t come up with a good acronym for “technically the legal services act says I’m a lawyer, but for all practical purposes I’m really not, unless you need help with patents and possibly other areas of IP law in a pinch”.

TTLSASIALBFAPPIRNUYNHWPAPOAOIPLIAPWJO

4 Likes

Just give em a bit of ANAL

That’s your answer to everything.

1 Like

Honestly it’s really amusing me. Might make the crossover into irl chat

1 Like

HT or H/T is ‘hat tip,’ no?

1 Like

I thought that whole thing came from the US? I always see people from there saying ‘I am a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer and this is not legal advice’ - as a requirement apparently. And then I’d assumed the IANAL was from people picking up on that…

First place I saw it in regular use was on Slashdot about 20 years ago where tech nerds kept arguing about the legal status of things.

I had to stop posting on Slashdot because you get extremely harshly moderated for knowing what you’re talking about wrt patents and stuff.

Rio Ferdinand is shocked at the definition of merked

1 Like

IM

• Honest
  • HUMBLE.

0 voters

O

As we all know, Apple successfully PATENTED the use of round corners IN EVERYTHING.

2 Likes

Genuinely didnt spot this when i repeated it

Sorry