November 2018 Film Discussion thread

also gives a pretty good account of himself coming out of that (presumably freezing) loch in the buff

1 Like

And a very decent Scottish accent. Good work dreamy Chris pine

Disobedience - A very well made film, that gets the sense of claustrophobia and duty spot on, but which is curiously passionless. The plotting is very good, and the sharing of screen time and interest between the three protagonists is very well handled, but Rachel Weisz is a bit wasted in a fairly two-dimensional role.

Allesandro Nivola, however, it outstanding, and the film is worth seeing for his performance alone. He’s so good in this.

1 Like

I know someone who worked on the film. I can confirm it was below freezing that day. They tried pumping hot water into the loch, but it barely made a difference. Poor bastard.

2 Likes

120 BPM. Soooooo unflinching and yet defiant, and the way it gradually switches focus away from the political points to the human cost was masterful. Still reeling from it really. Amazing amazing film.

2 Likes

Enjoyable and surprisingly dark particularly near the end. Been mulling over the idea of re-watching it again because I was thinking there might be a underlying message about t capital automation being in someways anti-human

is this actually good? was tempted to give it a go but thought it might just be a boring mess (no real reason other than it being a Netflix original)

I quite enjoyed it. The cast are all very good and it looks great.
Compared to braveheart it’s a fucking masterpiece :grinning:
Definitely worth a watch but then I would say that as it’s got dreamy Chris pine in it :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

it’s decent. not going to change your life but worth a watch.

2 Likes

yeah i don’t watch many films so it’s a bit of a silly statement for me to make but i think it’s one of the best low-budgets of the year. it’s deep and pulpy at the same time, has the makings of a cult classic.

Also, great use of The Cure’s Lovesong.

Favourite food scenes in films?

I always love how in Studio Ghibli films the food always bursts out at you.

1 Like

Pretty much every scene in Tampopo

1 Like

I need to see that

Salo made me hungry

1 Like

Saw this the other day I feel like it kind of dances over some of the bigger questions about sex work in favor of a fairly slick plot line but it was much better than I thought it was going to be.

A post was merged into an existing topic: December 2018 Film DiScussion Thread

December thread!

Oooops my bad!