November 2018 Film Discussion thread

1 Like

Hmmmmm.

3 Likes

Pet peeve of mine when a new adaptation of a book is referred to as a remake of a previous adaptation.

2 Likes

Ha, i was just about to post the same thing!

Free Fire and High Rise were both shit unfortunately. Will give this a go if it’s on Netflix I guess but not holding out much hope.

2 Likes

His new one, which is on BBC over Christmas, is a return to form apparently.

1 Like

This is a pretty different beast to those two I guess. Wheatley seems pretty erratic so you never know what you’ll get.

Generally really like everything Jane Goldman has done so well up for this. Very on board the Armie Hammer train too.

oh yeah, forgot this was happening

Miral - Really sweet and well realised, particularly in the way it portrays how children look to adults for protection. Watched the subtitled version for extra indie points.

The Endless - Very impressive indie sci-fi with a twist that is well executed even if some of the special effects let it down in its last third.

Hardcore Henry - lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

1 Like

Just got back from Suspiria

Thought it was very good. Obv a straight remake would’ve been pointless and there’s enough changes to make it worthwhile. Set design, costumes, cinematography are all fabulous, darling. Replaced the pop art stylings of the original with a kind of baroque aesthetic.

Main problem with it is the subplots revolving around Baader Meinhoff and WW2. Didn’t fully understand it and didn’t really think it added anything to the film. Seems to be a modern trend of giving classis films extra context. The original worked because it was a nonsensical feast for the senses, and nothing more.

Also, was impressed by how fucking weird this new one was. Some seriously creepy things going on.

1 Like

Phantom Thread is dull as hell. Even the dresses aren’t that good. I usually quite like PTA and I love all his classics but jeez what a meandering ponderous thing it was.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - more like So-So Beasts. J.K. Rowling is plotting these things like they’re existing books where we know all the characters already. Instead what we get is an overstuffed mess which also suffers from the usual prequel issues that we know what will happen in the end anyway.It’s all well and good having an ending which says ‘this guy is Dumbledore’s relative and he’s really powerful and he’s coming to get him!’ but we already know Dumbledore lives and defeats Grindelwald, so where’s the tension? And I can understand having Eddie nice but dull Redmayne as a nice but dull main character, but they’re stretching credulity somewhat to have so many women interested in him

The Niffler and Dan Fogler are good though. Make it the Jacob and Niffer show next time.

yeah enjoyed this a lot, looking forward to seeing more by these guys

2 Likes

Can’t be worse than the Val Kilmer version anyway

I’m not sure if I really like Chris Pratt. He’s probably the worst of the current batch of Chrisses, no?

(No offence, Chris Pratt. I’m sure you’re a lovely chap)

As a person, probably (nothing unpleasant about him, just he’s the one Republican out of them, or at least he comes across as such). In terms of acting talent, he’s maybe the best one (or second best behind Pine)

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would after reading the reviews. Much darker than the first, with a proportionate reduction in laughs. Really liked J Law as Dumbledore and J Depp as Grindelwald. You’re right though, the niffler stole the show- Christ, I want one.

Saw Suspiria last night. Still digesting it but I really liked it.

The Tilda being an old man bits are as you say tiresome and don’t add very much at all but I didn’t feel it took up enough of the film to annoy me that much. I love the pace and how it looked and generally how fucking weird it was! Also admire him for coming from CMBYN to this. And chain smoking Tilda forever!!!

So many walkouts - one left as soon that first dance sequence happened.

I think I only saw one walk out which was impressive considering it was a packed Rio cinema.

Amazing to think he directed Call me by your name only a year earlier!

1 Like