November 2019 Film Thread

Call Me By Your Name
I’d been wanting to see this since it came out and only just got round to it. Half way through I was thinking ‘I find all of these characters unrelatable and tiresome - that’s fine, it’s my issue, not the film’s’. The film has now just finished and I’ve moved on to hatred of it. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for the main character? The irritating, precocious teen who obviously hasn’t experienced the most minor of hardships in their entire fucking life and who receives an apology from a character he treats like shit?! Am I supposed to be impressed by the “highbrow” dialogue that thinks it’s smarter than it actually is? Am I supposed to believe Armie Hammer is capable of being charismatic? Am I supposed to feel anything other than mind-numbing boredom?! Uuugh… Such a let down. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Fair enough I guess (and yes he’s shabby towards Marzia), but Elio is still a 17yo kid, I find it understandable he’s rather all over the shop

Ah, yeah, I can understand what they were going for. I just didn’t like the character and couldn’t relate more than the tiniest bit with his life/experiences which made trying to find something to latch onto rather difficult. Because the whole film was stuffed with characters like that I really had no emotional interest in any of the relationships or situations either.

I’ve now moved on to the last Jumanji film to clear my mind with some dumb but enjoyable fun.

i was kinda disappointed by how straight forward it was

was convinced marta had done it all along but no

still enjoyed it, like

I saw this at Leeds Film Fest and partially enjoyed the art style and the idea of a story being told from the POV of a hand but the owner of the hand is basically a stalker :confused:

While I’d agree the climax was a bit lacking I actually liked how it was written. The tie back to the first film in terms of the plot felt cleverer than the usual “What’s the new threat” thing.

That said, I’ve watched Frozen Fever, Olaf’s Frozen Adventure (or whatever it’s called) and Lego Frozen Northern Lights recently and so this meant I was already in the zone for just ‘more Frozen’.

Yeah, that’s why I stuck the “annoying” in there. I was quite aware that if it had been a live action rom-com with that storyline I would have been spitting blood at it. I thought it was ameliorated a bit by the distance of animation, by the relationship not being the primary story of the movie, and by the way Gabrielle dumps him as soon as she finds out, and Nauofel’s (sp?) happy ending wasn’t getting the girl anyway. I loved the animation style, like a bande dessinee coming to life.

Church

I really, really enjoyed Knives Out. I like out how Benoit was somewhere between a detective that could actually solve the case and mimicking Agatha Christie-esque detectives, like the bit about donuts.

Marta watching as the Thrombey family glare up at her from her new mansion

2 Likes

Started watching curious case of benjamin Britton. Any fans?

no it’s one of the worst films i’ve ever seen

3 Likes

Creapy so far

I meant button!

Woke up this morning with zero desire to watch the Irishman. Walked outside and saw a massive row of Hoffa missing newspaper ads and now i’m watching it. Rare example of me getting done by advertising.

2 Likes

It was good/10

2 Likes

I think it’s the only Fincher film I’ve never watched as it did just look dreadful. (Also, I read the short story and that made it look even worse from the trailer and running time.)

Brilliant film. Can’t remember the last time I had so much fun watching a film while also being genuinely intrigued by the plot.

I think it would pair really well with Logan Lucky for a “Watching Daniel Craig have an incredible time not playing James Bond” double bill

3 Likes
1 Like