November 2021 Film News/Trailer chat thread

Hope this is the Garfield film

Thereā€™s a great podcast called Dave and Jeb Arenā€™t Mean where two very funny guys and occasionally some guests review Hallmark movies. Obviously sounds like it could be awfully snobbish and condescending but itā€™s done with great love and appreciation for the genre, I really like it. Has some very good long-running bits, like where one guest posited that all Hallmark films take place in an alternative universe where 9/11 never happened, until they finally found a film that referenced it.

2 Likes

Double bill with Titane on NYD. Perfect!

3 Likes

Is there a reliable source for when films are out on VOD for those of us still not heading back to cinemas as yet? Would like to see The French Dispatch but thereā€™s no indication of when itā€™ll hit BFI Player/iTunes/Mubi etc.

I donā€™t know about sources unfortunately but I always just assume itā€™s roughly a 2-4 month cinema window for arthouse films at the moment

It seems fairly arbitrary. Some are available to stream at a premium the same day as release, others are a week after the cinema release, others are within the month, a few are around the time of DVD release. Frustrating.

it is arbitary yeah, I think generally the more ā€˜prestigeā€™ status the film has the longer the window is

Iā€™m hoping Nolan makes a big deal out of not using CGI for this, to the extent that he insists on real atomic bombs to film.

5 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

Dunbar is on the coast and in a pretty flat part of Scotland but otherwise I am SOLD.

1 Like

I had no idea what The Power of the Dog is about, and I like that I still donā€™t know what itā€™s about having watched this trailer. Which is how I like it. I think Cumberbatch is a lot more versatile than people give him credit for, and I get the feeling heā€™ll be terrific in this.

The reviews have been great, Jane Campion has a strong chance at Best Director at the Oscars it sounds like

I hope he says ā€œAs you wishā€ at some point.

2 Likes