NTftSB: what was the first news event you can remember?

I was thinking about this earlier. I remember my dad talking about the miners’ strike (1984-85) but I don’t think I knew what it was about - I think I heard the word and thought it was a minor strike as opposed to a major strike (but didn’t know what a strike was).

Other than that, probably the Challenger disaster (Jan 1986) or the Chernobyl disaster (Apr 1986), both of which I remember from Newsround.

What about you?

2 Likes

My dad was in the army and we were out living in Hong Kong in 1991 when the gulf war started (I was 7).

We had a couple of military TV stations that would play reruns and slightly out of date episodes of BBC programmes and they basically cleared loads of the schedule each day to report updates from the gulf.

That disruption to my usual TV and the footage from the gulf that replaced it sticks in my memory and I can’t think of any news story from before then.

2 Likes

Tony Blair’s election I think, closely followed by Diana’s death

4 Likes

The Michael Fish hurricane, just about (1987), but the Berlin Wall more clearly (1989).

7 Likes

I was born in 82 - the Lockerbie bombing (88) is the earliest thing I can think of, though I’m not sure if I’m remembering the event or subsequent reporting. I do remember the Berlin Wall coming down in 89.

3 Likes

These, unless euro 96 counts.

Football from around 1998 9/11 probably, tbh.

2 Likes

The war in Bosnia.

4 Likes

Foot and mouth disease in early 2001 I think. Or Y2K stuff maybe.

1 Like

I was born in 1979, and I think the first news event would be the Ethiopia famine and Band Aid (1984). I definitely remember watching Live Aid in 1985.

1 Like

Oh actually, yeah I do remember Band Aid. Didn’t realise that was before Live Aid

Growing up where I did the Miner’s strike was massive news even if it wasn’t particularly affecting the area Iived in too directly.

Other than that probably Gulf War 1 and the Ethiopian famine.

1 Like

Animal Liberation Front stating that they had injected random Mars bars with rat poison, in 1984. I had eaten a Mars bar in my school packed lunch that day and was petrified, despite my Dad saying “Well, you’re not sick or dead so I assume it’s fine”.

Crazy! Imagine putting a Mars bar in a 6 year olds packed lunch these days!

I’m sure there were bigger stories, but that was the one that really sticks in my head.

2 Likes

Yeah both of these except I don’t remember the hurricane on the news…just the actual hurricane

3 Likes

I remember getting really upset over a report about some guerrillas getting massacred somewhere because my tiny child brain obviously heard it as gorillas.

Other than that, Gulf War 1.

1 Like

The roof on our conservatory flew off.

(My dad built it himself, shocked that this happened)

1 Like

Probably the assassination of JFK in 1963. I was 9 at the time.

3 Likes

Euro 1996 I think.

Can still remmber some things from when I was 3 or 4 though (91/92)

1 Like

I’ve told this before but I also remember being a big Douglas Hurd fan and was upset when he lost to John major and heseltine after thatcher went.

(25 I was)

4 Likes

Diana’s death because it made my Grandma swear (“bloody hell”)

2 Likes