Nuclear bunker shopping

Into the bunker in Kansas with you

2 Likes

There’s one in york you can go in by appointment (managed by English heritage). In the middle of an estate only a few miles out from the centre. really, really bizarre.

1 Like

Vaguely remember seeing something on TV about them finding a bunker under a housing estate in London. Was yet another of Churchill’s secret bunkers they reckon

I read this quite recently

Pretty sure this is one of the sites he visits. It’s a good book, definitely worth a read.

(reading on a bit, this is the same source material as jordan’s link)

if your luxury follows similar rules to the luxury on desert island disks, what would you go for?

I’d go for a massive, fully stocked recording studio if allowed, and if not just a piano.

My parents have got a big second world war concrete air raid shelter in their garden.

When we were growing up we used to use it as a kind of den.

It would likely cause the whole garden to collapse if they broke it up and removed it, so it’s covered with some decking and doubles up as a kind of terrace these days.

1 Like

Don’t leave us hanging, we need pictures of this.

1 Like

Recording studio is definitely allowed, Thom Yorke chose it.

Who’s in bunker, who’s in bunker?

1 Like

You can’t really see much of it now, as it’s covered over. This is the best I can do:

The steps down into it are under that piece of vertical decking.

You can stand up down there - when we moved in it still had the original bunk beds in it.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. The fact that it’s completely obscured by such an ornate garden makes it even better.