Oasis were actually decent though

Found this quite sad. Poor Fred

5 Likes

No matter how comedically petty the “I prefer music” intro is (I mean I agree, but it will put some off straight away), I always refer people to this piece of writing:

Probably wouldn’t do that as it’s absolute dogshit writing. Heavy Sigh. Can’t be dealing with that type of prose.

8 Likes

Just listened to Be Here Now all the way through and had a very nice time. Aged well imo.

1 Like

Happy birthday!

4 Likes

Criticism of Oasis always came down to people loathing the working classes, imho.

3 Likes

Could have just said “Noel’s a tory cunt” without the rest of the elitist bullshit

The article above hit on the homophobia and racism, and the lad culture, and the pernicious effect it had on anyone wanting to do anything vaguely interesting, not class war.

Yes you have.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

1 Like

Yeah for me it was slightly different - though definitely tied to class. I grew up in Stoke on Trent, where it was THE LAW to like Oasis and football, so naturally I rebelled against both by liking indie rock and books.

Growing up and leaving that environment led me to realising that of course you can have all those things, but to forge any kind of identity as a kid, I felt like I had to reject them, and suspect many felt similar.

I thought the doc did a good job of getting the phenomenon without all the awful shit around it. 1st two albums are obviously great. Liam’s cool, Noel sucks.

1 Like

Interesting how masculinity, confidence, aggression, extroversion, braggadocio are seen as totemic of being working class. Don’t see how they relate to your relationship with labour personally

I’d say they’re stereotypes myself.

3 Likes

Yeah exactly, so it’s unfair to push back on any criticism as inherently anti working class. Definitely a lot of snobbery exists but it puts you in a difficult position if you did grow up working class and didn’t relate to all that stuff. You can get into very dangerous territory thinking that way.

2 Likes

I’d say all of those things exist within all classes, maybe moreso in middle and upper than working class.
But the upper classes use those stereotypes to depict the working classes in a certain way.
Not even sure how this thread went down this route of conversation tbh.
I’m working class and I got shit as a kid for LIKING Oasis, so who even knows what the fuck anymore. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s what kind of bothered me, their interviews slagging different artists and genres while funny built a mentality in their fan base where anything musically different is “shit”. It’s quite manipulative in hindsight.

1 Like

I would agree that Oasis got additional criticism vs their peers and some of that relates to snobbery.

Just think there are valid criticisms of Oasis’ music and of their public statements and actions that shouldn’t just be brushed away this way, otherwise you can get close to implying stuff like introversion or queerness is middle class.

For the record I like some of Oasis’ music now (mostly thanks to Elliott Smith).

1 Like

Aye thats fair, dont think ive said anything to that effect. The media did really go for Northern working class vs Southern posh boys tho and escalated things, clear that at least a few influential media outlets focussed on their class for good or ill.

That would be a very idiotic thing to do tbf.

1 Like

Yes. To be clear, anyone that writes “Oasis wrote music for plebs” can get in the sea. That’s hopefully not what most of the criticism is about.

Listened to this again the other day, they should have ended gigs on a 20 minute version of this.

To an extent that sort of slagging is good and funny.

Noel did start getting high on his own supply with the Jay Z comments, and then he became a massive Tory and lockdown breaker so, there’s that

1 Like