Objects of joy

Gramophone tins being for the needles?

By preference I would ideally avoid having too many display things because of the difficulty in keeping it all clean and tidy (I’ve not been very good at this, partly due to impulse buying stuff I’ve no room for, partly due to many years of unsuitable living situations). But my suggestions are:

• have things that are nice but also have a use, so they don’t get dusty from sitting around untouched
  • have things that are in a format that doesn’t need a lot of dusting/cleaning, like pictures
  • have things that are easy to clean, eg smooth objects with no bits to catch on a dusting cloth or things that can go in the dishwasher/washing machine
  • when choosing a place for something think about what type of dirt it will encounter there and whether it’ll be easy to clean. Like if it would be hard to clean oil off it, don’t put it in your kitchen where it’ll build up a layer of aerosolised cooking fat over time.

Here is an example of the first point

I bought this little tortoise ages ago and it sat around unused gathering dust. Then I decided to use it to put sewing/knitting bits and pieces in and now it doesn’t get as dusty because it’s always being used.

2 Likes

such me vibes

1 Like

I love this idea. I’m seriously thinking of stealing it. I’ve always collected boxes (tool boxes and things like filing cabinets!) and love the idea of collecting music related ephemera/objects.

1 Like

sneezing usually helps. :sneezing_face:

1 Like

Hi team. I’ve joined this lunchtime

6 Likes

my fav object ever!

A little blue glass ashtray. I think, it’s a recycled bottle smushed down. It only holds one cigarette. My folks brought it back for me from Kenya as present, despite hating the fact that I smoked. I love the color, texture and strangely the weight.

3 Likes

I just received an object of joy! The Bulgarian lads are visiting the country for the first time since Covid and, despite me no longer working with them directly (since the start of the year) they brought me a touching gift! Its called a Martenitsal (Grandma March traditional folklore to see in Spring) it’s hand-knitted with Bulgarian wool and is given as a gift for good luck to friends and family. Very touching gesture IMO

13 Likes

Love this :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

4 Likes

ooh this reminds me of this thing i picked up from my mam’s the other week. she’d been making these little crochet “worry worms” for the kids she works with, they’re like knitted into a really satisfying twist shape. anyway littlun picked one up and was playing with it, he gave it to me and i ended up fiddling endlessly with it while i was visiting my gran in hospital before she died. it’s very satisfying and it’s on my bedside table and i’ll post a picture of it later

1 Like

This is a fantastic Object Of Joy

1 Like

I love that giraffe! We have this one, it brings me joy.

4 Likes

5 Likes

8 Likes

Got this squirrel nutcracker on me holidays

9 Likes

Some amazing stuff in this thread.

Some of the tat I have on my shelves.

Mickey Mouse thing that makes a creepy noise when you pull the string.

No Face money box that I had to remove the battery from as my son was terrified of it.

Granddads hip flask from the war

Have loads of James Jarvis figures. Love this one.

And this one.

5 Likes

I have one of those!

1 Like

Mostly books. I wanted these three for years. First editions are V expensive but a second edition was released last year or the year before so finally got to see my favourite photos in person