Obscene gig ticket price thread

Think if processing fees can’t be eliminated then maybe they should be capped? Jesus CHRIST.

1 Like

Didn’t see they were coming over! Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

Love the sheer snideness of having the fees rise in proportion with the ticket price, so people are paying £120 in processing alone. Real “fuck you if you don’t like it” energy.

4 Likes

I was talking to a real life New Yorker about this, they said that it has basically led to Harry Styles concerts not selling out because tickets started to go for 400$. So in some ways I hope this can backfire on the industry because it’s such bullshit

5 Likes

Speaking of which

Some New York Dem Congressman has started making rumblings about Live Nation needing to be broken up in an antitrust action

Correction: New Jersey Congressman

2 Likes

Getting a bit of whiplash jumping between this and the “will vinyl last” thread. If prices rise so dramatically, how many people are going to just “ah’m oot” of the whole enterprise? Lots of people here apparently. I’d imagine even parents with kids who love Harry Styles might swallow £120 x 3, but £400 x 3? Sorry kids, not happening.

3 Likes

People should just take their kids to punk and hardcore shows.

9 Likes

I love to be with my dad at the Jerry’s Kids show

2 Likes

3 Likes

Sorry, I said punk shows.

15 Likes

You’d hope so, but I can’t help but think the music industry will just see selling 60/70% of tickets at enormous prices is still worth it. They had the days of tickets being cheaper and it driving an extortionate secondary market, now they’re wanting to squeeze demand so that all of that cash finds its way to them.

2 Likes

would love to see my mum’s face if I suggested this to her

3 Likes

i think more appropriate is the soul glo prices mentioned upthread…

without being too 90s about things…that tour is not punk :smiley:

2 Likes

Guess this could go in the bargains thread but I’ll stick it here instead just to balance all the absurd prices. I bought tickets for Rockaway Beach festival a few days ago. Less than £100 for 3 nights per person accommodation and 3 days of music/cinema. Admittedly you get a draughty chalet and it’s in Bognor Regis the first weekend in January. But I’ve been a couple of times before and there’s always some good stuff on the undercard and the silent disco is almost worth it by itself. Obscenely cheap.

1 Like

I just saw that Modest Mouse have announced a date in Bexhill which is £33.50 + fees. Searched emails and saw my ticket for the cancelled Brighton gig in 2013 was £17.50. So is this just the result of 10 years’ inflation or a crazy increase?

I think £33.50 for modest mouse is cheap

8 Likes

Tbh probably seems about the right price point for them nowadays and the kind of demographic they have.

Arguably it’s both? Seems standard nowadays, but that in itself is a crazy increase

2 Likes

think that price was a steal tbh

1 Like

Can’t quite get my head round people paying £400 to see a gig/event. Feel like I must be misunderstanding something basic, like it’s part of a weeks holiday including accommodation or something.

5 Likes