Obsessive Thread Starting

What’s the craic with people obsessively starting rolling/ongoing politics, sports and band threads, etc? Often they don’t even partake in the discussion after the OP, just seem addicted to the dopamine sugar rush of seeing blue circles every time they log in?

Even weirder, celebrity RIP threads. What giveth?

Is it a stats thing? Is there some end-of-year prize i don’t know of?

Here, have a blue circle

8 Likes

I’ve turned mine off due to the ridiculous and pretty much universal appreciation of my comedy.

1 Like

Agree, ban the lot and replace them with daily Games Workshop threads.

1 Like

Blue circles on DiS is heroin for middle-class nerds

7 Likes

See you in the Cricket 2k19 :cricket_bat_and_ball: thread!

1 Like

Starting threads unlocks premium content posts from SuperUsers like Banks, smiggsy and AshleyINCREDIBLE, so that’s why people do it.

I don’t like the gamification of the forum, but sometimes you just have to go with it.

Someone might have a query / something to draw attention to but not much to actually add after that?

‘What’s your favourite soup? Mine is Heinz tomato soup’

That’s the thread starter - no real need to add anything more to that

Trente percente

6 Likes

No way. Then it goes: you like cream of mushroom, are you a fucking dick or what?

You didn’t put (Rolling) in the thread title, enjoy page 5 in a weeks time pal WITHOUT the justification to bump it.

If you are secure and confident in your beliefs then there is really no need to reply

:+1:

Fuck off pal, I’m secure as fuck, it’s you that isn’t!

2 Likes

Can we have some examples/call-outs rather than sub-posting?

I’ve not been back to my steely dan thread. something else came up sorry

2 Likes

I’m the opposite. I had a GENIUS thread idea once, which I delegated/bequeathed to @anon5266188 to post because I was too busy to give it the time and dedication it deserved.

What’s my prize?

1 Like

Nah, let’s keep it friendly. I’m more interested in the psychology behind it, why we do it. I used to religeously start the football threads, for example. I’d argue that a lot of the time it was because i wanted to make sure the OP included stuff that might generate a wider debate, like overseas or non-leagues, but still, why did i care? Other examples, keeping it broad might be people constantly doing rolling band threads, plonking one bit of Pitchfork news in the OP and never revisiting. What’s in it for them? Why are all the politics threads started by two or three people when so many are interested? Why’s there a rush to tell a music forum that an extra from Emmerdale’s passed away? Has Twitter borked our minds to the point that we take huge satisfaction from notifications?

I don’t think it’s that. Maybe a little, but for me if I post a thread like that it’s just out of being a good community member I guess, wanting to share news and the like, get debates going. Kind of needs that to keep going, no?

"Why are all the politics threads started by two or three people when so many are interested?’
Cos most people can’t be arsed I reckon.

‘Why’s there a rush to tell a music forum that an extra from Emmerdale’s passed away?’
Same reason that you’d text or whatsapp a friend or family about breaking news, just sharing info and starting a discussion

“Has Twitter borked our minds to the point that we take huge satisfaction from notifications?”
Yes

Aren’t you the incumbent RIPer thread starter. Seem to always be you.

Sounds it m8

:thinking: