October 2018 Film DiScussion Thread

yeah most of Tarantino’s stuff is tbh. it started off well but gets pretty dull

Its just too long and too boring, much like django.

least he doesnt show up as an Australian in this

2 Likes

Django Unchained is too long but is still fantastic. The Hateful Eight is way too long but is still decent. And Bad Times at the El Royale reminded me that for all his flaws Tarantino is miles better at this stuff than anyone.

1 Like

I thought this was a good article about First Man

And this is an interesting comparison

https://twitter.com/CoreyAtad/status/1051895294001127425

1 Like

really? I thought it was absolutely awful

1 Like

I enjoyed Bad Times at the El Royale, felt very 90’s post-Tarantino but if you like that sort of thing you’ll get some enjoyment out of it.

2 Likes

Nailed it

3 Likes

Saw Possum on Friday.
Very good, not a bunch of dialogue and very atmospheric throughout. Very intense performance from Sean Harris.
Matthew Holness was doing a Q&A at it too and fair to say he is a top lad.

First Man - Solid stuff. Ryan Gosling gets a little harshly treated for his performances, and I know that’s because his roles are mostly similar, but I thought his acting in this was great and probably the best he’s done. Really liked this film and how unglamorous it made a lot of the events e.g. using swiss army knives and constructing very claustrophic machines with little space to move in. Felt like in every shot inside the spacecrafts there’s bolts and rivets in the frame and you’re terrified about the strain they’re being put under. Also the sound design is fantastic. I think it could have leaned a bit harder into the negative effects of toxic masculinity, bottling stuff up, and some of the more childish behaviours that people (aside from Neil) in the command centre had, but this film still has plenty of other stuff going on with its approach to grief and isolation.

Mandy - First Man is a film I liked a lot and I left the cinema feeling satisfied, but Mandy is something I LOVED that I’ve been thinking about constantly since. What’s good about it has been covered in detail elsewhere, and I can totally get why some would hate it, but I thought this was so extremely good it reminded me why I spend so much time on films. So yeah, I viscerally enjoyed it, more than any other film in years and I felt sad when it was over. Going to see it again ASAP, to see if I like it as much on a second viewing. Cheddar Goblin for life.

Seeing Bad Times at the El Royale tomorrow. I’m somewhat optimistic about it, but more curious to see what it’s about after seeing opinions that range from love to hate. It’s getting compared to Tarintino a lot… who I hate, both for his messy films and because he’s a grotty little man.

1 Like

is Mandy on wide release? doesnt seem to be anywhere in Manchester

Not really

It’s out on DVD/Blu-Ray on the 26th

https://twitter.com/ericallenhatch/status/1052211651498450945

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1050761914073133057

3 Likes

yeah i enjoyed it enough. a bit nothing-y but fine. will never think about or remember it ever again.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well up for this. I love Attack the Block and this looks very much like more of the same, but fantasy. No problem with that at all. Budget looks pretty big for a British adventure film too.

2 Likes

Can’t be worse than all the other non-Monty Python film takes on King Arthur at least

That looks grand. Fair play to Joe Cornish like.

The main kid, Louis Serkis, looks like his dad, doesn’t he?