October politics thread - counting down to doom in weeks and days

It is not that a deal cannot be reached, but trade negotiations take an incredibly long time to be concluded.

For example, negotiations on the trade agreement between the EU and Canada started in 2009 and were concluded in 2014. It took until 2016 for the treaty to be signed, and until 2017 for the various EU institutions to ratify it. It is now provisionally in place, and waiting to be ratified by all individual EU member states.

Ten years for a deal to be completed is no exception.

4 Likes

the “backstop” (noun) is a “failsafe” (noun) to “reinforce” (verb) the current invisible border arrangement in “Ireland” (country) if no other “solutions” (noun) can be found

1 Like

If I had to pick a politician who would actually deport their own parents…

[I’m not counting Grayling, because even though he would do it, he’d do it by accident]

10 Likes

Think Cummings might have this on a legal technicality, you know. Proper patent twat admiration here. They said no Irish border, not nobody said anything about a plurality of Irish borders.

It’s absolutely watertight reasoning. Cannot fault it. We’ve been thoroughly outmanoeuvred.

1 Like

but i mean the current government clearly doesn’t understand what it actually is either so don’t feel too bad i guess

You just know your hard-line vox poppers will be delighted with something that’s just two of something they were willing to die to prevent six months ago though

1 Like

it’s a problem that there are around 300 border crossings in Ireland but nobody said it would be a problem if there were 900 border crossings

3 Likes

14 Likes

If the Tories win the next election the press and the party will turn on Priti Patel within a year and then they’ll just make IDS Home Secretary or something

Why is the DUP still in a “coalition” with the Tories? They have a majority of -41. What’s the point?

1 Like

This whole thing might be the strongest “Yes Miss, I did my homework, I’ll bring it tomorrow, no worries” and then bringing along an load of Lorem Ipsum and bunch of flowers.

2 Likes

i had actually forgotten she was Home Secretary so i’m amazed all over again at how quick the turnaround is between Forced to Resign in Disgrace and Top Cabinet Job

1 Like

i didn’t think they were - journalists have spent the last while talking about how the Tories don’t have to bother appeasing the DUP anymore and predicting he’d sell them down the river - and yet here we are. probably positioning himself for another hung parliament after the next election i guess?

teenagers are very perceptive

4 Likes

Yeah, but look at him - you can tell without him saying anything.

Boris has written this speech on the toilet this morning, hasn’t he

state of it, like.

4 Likes

Nailed it.

It’s owned by the same people and both are great for different reasons

She’ll be fine - she’ll just roll her opinions on capital punishment back out again.