October politics thread - counting down to doom in weeks and days

snooker ball in a sock

2 Likes

I’ve got a squash racket, used to have an aluminium baseball bat I got from Canada when I was a kid but my brother stole it from me

…and me?

1 Like

couldn’t even bring myself to write your name down, such is my contempt.

Drastic. I like it.

2 Likes

Labour guy on QT getting roundly booed for saying the NHS is in danger. We’re fucked.

Also Isobel Oakeshott is a such a deeply terrible person I genuinely feel a panic attack coming on every time she speaks.

2 Likes

QT has gotten 2 or 3 extremely loud gammon in eh
Oakeshott barely holding back an open call to privatise the NHS makes my blood boil too

2 Likes

Our branches vote didn’t count - threshold is 50% of all union members, we got 48% - pretty annoying.

Fwiw during the UCU strikes last year our departments policy was to give everyone full marks for homework content that was never taught (or maybe it didn’t count towards their coursework grade, I forget which they decided on), point being I’d imagine you’d get a lot of leniency. Especially if the students make noise about it

But yeah as AW says still worth seeing what the response is, recent strikes aren’t far off in their minds, they won’t want that happening again.

1 Like

Oakeshott is total poison, worries me how closely aligned hers and this government’s thinking probably are

1 Like

Overheard my mum go “stupid fucking bitch” at QT earlier but I have no idea which bit. Hoping it was Oakeshitt*

*genuine typo but it’s staying

What’s happened in the UK is that over the last 50 years because of liberalism our entire perception of class has changed so that external factors like how you speak or what you wear are class signifiers. This is what Alan Sugar to claim to be working class while being a millionaire or Jess Phillips to claim to be working class when her parents were chief execs in the NHS. It’s all a fat crock of bullshit to disguise the fact that the only thing that defines your class is your relationship with labour. Do you sell labour in exchange for wages or do you buy labour in exchange for profits? Anything beyond that is just there to obscure things so the working class don’t recognise their own exploitation.

16 Likes

very insightful comment

Thanks mate, bit gutted it’s gonna get lost in the jump to the new thread :frowning:

1 Like

plenty of opportunity for you to join in there too no doubt :slight_smile:

Hey ho, ramble that sort of touches on this, sorry. TL;DR etc.

Is Middle-class still seen as a bad thing? It certainly was in the 90s. So many people I was at university with would support that idea that the likes of Macca or Noel Gallagher were still working class, and would say they were working class and I always felt like, “But you’re going to walk out of here with a degree and get a white collar job” (he this was the mid-90s when that was still true) so are you actually working class now?

I had that otherness as a kid in the 80s. Mum was on the dole then earned bugger all as a receptionist and my stepdad was a gardener. We lived in shared condemned houses until we were able to get a Co-Op flat and I wore a lot of charity shop clothes. But my dad had been to (and been chucked out of university) and his side of the family were definitely upper middle-class even though his jobs tended to be things like postman or working in book shops. Anyway, the point is that I was considered posh by the kids in school. I didn’t drop my Ts on the ends of words due to mum’s Scottish accent and I guess there was a fundamental thing that my parents and family all assumed I would go to university, that was a given, so I had that aspirational thing drilled into me. So I wasn’t like the working class kids at school, even though we had as little as them. It was very odd and tribal somehow. My best mate’s family were all working class too but highly intellectual, properly full turned on politically, so again, she was quite ostracised because she also spoke properly.

1 Like

PotW please @JaguarPirate

1 Like

Sooooo, it’s November and we’re still in the EU then

if ever a reply could miss the point of the post it was replying to more, I’d like to see it

Fair enough. Apologies to @Rarity