Official DiS Web Developer Thread

eggs
interweb

Me, I’m a web developer or ‘software engineer’ as we choose to elevate ourselves at my place. Just been moving a .NET project over to Node.js and React frontend. Interesting but find the node ecosystem a bit like the wild west. No canonical way to do stuff, and solving every problem by adding another sodding NPM package.

Front end toolchain is a bloody nightmare these days too, there’s no easy way to get started like there used to be with pure HTML and CSS. I moved into front end first and then more and more server-side and infrastructure stuff over the last few years.

God that’s a boring post. I’m on 4 months paternity leave so might retrain as a farmer or something.

What was the question again?

Gulp

Yes, the place I’m now working in is like a role call of trendy internet buzzwords.

For everyone in this thread, are you all really into techie stuff? See, I’m not, so I feel so out of place (not to mention rubbish at this job) because all the other developers seem really techie. One day, I’m going to be found out, if I haven’t already.

Nope. Im pretty good at problem solving but never been that much of a tech nerd e.g

• Useless with hardware - dont know the names of all the leads and ports on my devices and cant fix my home wifi
  • don’t care about new phones / operating systems
  • hate the Internet of Things

It’s taken me a long time to realise this doesn’t stop me being a good dev. I don’t code outside of work either (any more).

People drop in techie buzzwords at my place and downplay them as if it’s easy stuff and you should already be an expert. “Well that’s just a simple command pattern isn’t it?” , “obviously you should be writing this in a functional style” “I assume we’re already using ‘X’ npm module” etc. I think almost everyone who does this is battling their own imposter syndrome and often don’t understand the concepts themselves.

well we’re using ASP.NET MVC 5 (I think), which was the last version before ASP.NET Core came out, and version 3 of that is out soon. so we’re about 3 or so years out of date.

but tbh everything I see seems to be leaning towards Node.js and then something js related for the front end. not sure if I was starting out now I’d be looking to start with ASP.NET :confused:

hate how it makes ASP.NET into a link

seems to go in peaks and troughs for me - sometimes I’m really interested, want to learn the latest stuff, do side projects (e.g. the Android apps I’ve made) and then others I cba whatsoever.

I’m currently well into a trough btw

Yeah, MVC isn’t out of date. It is very ‘current’ meaning nearly every job I see coming through needs it, but as breakfast says, a lot of stuff is moving to .Net Core and things like Web API and more service type stuff. I see a lot about Node.js as well, but I am not ready to give up on the MS stack and go down a completely different route. We are moving to Azure at work, so it’s all about functions etc.

I am not a geek outside of work. Interested enough to do it, but don’t know anything about hardware etc.

As for design patterns…well I have been a dev for 20 years, and try to write good, clean code and know the SOLID stuff pretty well. But patterns are a strange one. I can get the theory, and see how they are used in code we use (Factory Pattern for CC payment processors etc) but I’ve never started to work on something and thought that a pattern would help. It’s a high levelish thing I think. I design software, but never used one. Maybe I have used a ‘facade’ when just writing code that hides stuff behind an interface. Dunno.

Nope, and I won’t be made to feel like a lesser person because of it.

See also the classic interview question “what’s your most recent side project?” Fuck off, I’m not spending my evenings and weekends coding.

I find I tend to use them occasionally without realising it. It’s useful to know about them and I find they just sort of seep into your work naturally. I’ve rarely gone into a project and said “The Chain of Command* pattern fits perfectly here”, but when I look at the Gang of Four’s list of design patterns I’ve probably used about a third of them in the last year without deliberately choosing to do so at any point. That said, it’s as much about not using patterns when they’re not going to provide any value.

For my money, the most useful general purpose patterns are

• Builder
  • Factory
  • Singleton
  • Composite
  • Facade
  • Observer

It’s no coincidence that most of those help make unit testing easier btw. A lot of the others are only useful when you’re writing specific types of code to my mind.

* I don’t actually know that one at all - I just had to go look an unusual one up.

Yeah, I’ve learnt a lot from some amazing developers I have worked with. I got into the habit of very high levels of unit testing from seeing code others had written. Quite a simple class being put through it’s paces in tests with mocking etc. etc.

The good book I have is TDD in C# by Wrox. It’s quite thin, but covers off the SOLID concept quite well and makes the connection between these and Agile practises etc.