OKNOTOK OK Computer 20th Anniversary mega-thread

4 Likes

Found it after a few dead ends and one link going down mid-transfer. Iā€™m five minutes into the first disc, and yes, this is very much the real deal :open_mouth:

It is indeed.
Thereā€™s a track list thatā€™s being updated here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kA8u6UhjbutZ-b7TXzmX4qkOTg6nGC1vPg50WwCcZyo/mobilebasic

There are at least three versions of Lift better than the one released a couple of years ago.

Have the band made any comment about this yet?

1 Like

Love the ā€œfan namesā€ given to songs

Iā€™d like to hear a compilation of the best bits. The tracks that were actual songs on the tape in 2017 (Let Down, Airbag etc) were amazing.

Seems that the version of Lift which is on disc/track 15 around 10 minutes in, is amazing people are saying.

Also thereā€™s a cover of Ride to Atlantis, by Marvin Hamlisch, from the soundtrack to The Spy Who Loved Me. Hands up who saw that coming?

Itā€™s not a cover I donā€™t think, itā€™s a sample. Thereā€™s a bunch of Bind music samples on that one. I think they are clips for inspiration, or something?

Holy shit

2 Likes

Imagine if this was just 17 hours of a fake :grinning:

https://www.reddit.com/r/radiohead/comments/bwj8p7/entire_ok_computer_sessions_have_potentially_been

Pretty crazy stuff, must be a wild black market for this stuff

Ahh makes sense, gotcha.

Gonna listen to Lift again because it made very little impression on me the first time and I canā€™t really imagine it being a massive hit. Man O War was great, though.

Obviously at some point Iā€™m going to trawl through and listen to all 17 hours of this stuff, multiple times. I would like to know how the band feel about the leak, though, first.

1 Like

Itā€™s just too much for me to even really contemplate. Iā€™d like to hope the band curate it all for us. I didnā€™t buy the special version of OKC with the cassette though so I also feel like RH probably canā€™t officially release it without it being a bit of a slap in the face for those guys. Hmmā€¦

Time was, these would be edited into a bunch of bootleg CDs with collage covers that youā€™d find in the back of your local record store.

I suppose really, this is just a stopgap before we get Edā€™s Samba album in the autumn.

7 Likes

I also feel like 17 hours implies a lot of either drek or just really similar takes to the album ones to the point you canā€™t even tell. Even if the band try to suppress this for all time I am confident thereā€™ll be a tasty 60 minute best of created hiding out online that saves us the trouble.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean Iā€™d like to hear the best versions of released tracks and any unreleased sketches that are worth hearing. Not sure what the rest of it is though, and Iā€™d be nervous that there isnā€™t like a 5 second sample thatā€™s just so mind blowing that Iā€™d have to hear it, OMG! tbf, Iā€™d comfortably spend a few days WFH with it on in the background and get through the lot though

1 Like

Is Follow Me Around on there? I couldnā€™t see it listed. Whatever happened to that song? It appeared in full on Meeting People Is Easy then seemed to vanish from history.

Just waiting for Bamnam to enter the thread and tell us all OK Computer is shit/heā€™s never heard it but itā€™s probably shit.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll enjoy it tbf

1 Like

Thom and Jonny played a new arrangement of it a couple of years ago so fingers crossed for the next album

4 Likes