OKNOTOK OK Computer 20th Anniversary mega-thread

Same. I am yet to hear it for this reason alone.

I started on audacity when they 1st came out but it was an absolute nightmare didnā€™t even finish the 1st one. Suspect someone on reddit probably has havenā€™t looked.

I started, was three discs in and my laptop died. All the data is currently in limbo as I canā€™t take it to a shop to see if anything is recoverable until The Unpleasantness blows over.

Iā€™ve got them split. There was a patch released by someone on Reddit (I think) which did it automatically and named all the tracks. Iā€™ll see if I can find it!

5 Likes

Oooo nice one

Iā€™d also be very interested in this - havenā€™t yet listened

1 Like

Donā€™t know if I should really be bumping this old thread, but Iā€™ve been listening to the special edition cassette a lot, and I really love it. All the fragments and isolated bits (airbag processed drums, the strings and distorted-guitar-mic screaming from climbing up the walls) are interesting to hear on their own, really highlights how much weird and gnarly sound design is folded into these mixes. The 4-track demo of Let Down is beautiful, the version of motion picture soundtrack is beautiful, and the demo of national anthem is simultaneously stiffer from the drum machine and looser from Thom shredding heavy noise guitar. Delicious.

I appreciate that weā€™ve been given all these different perspectives and messy scraps. It makes me appreciate the album more, but itā€™s also a good listen in itself. Iā€™m not usually fussed about demos or alt versions either

4 Likes

The cassette version of Motion Picture Soundtrack has become my favourite version of that song now. Just beautiful.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the minidiscs I should Fig that out.

I had an acoustic version of it on a bootleg in 98 and consequently wasnā€™t really into Kid Aā€™s version at all. Maybe itā€™s the same one.

1 Like

I have that acoustic version as well and the cassette version is different as it is a stripped back piano version of the song.

1 Like

anyone able to share the split version of the minidiscs?! I have the single files but dont know how to split on my phone (pc died) would love to be able to make some edited playlists. Ta

Birthday bump :partying_face:

16 Likes

Listening to this today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017rhn

4 Likes

This is pretty fascinating so far

Mad that a ZX Spectrum was used in the making of this album!

That was a great listen, absolutely crazy to think that my favourite party of Let Down came about by accident because the band thought the track was too long with the original arrangement.

8 Likes

This guy is a legit craftsman, love what he does. Already listened to this twice since it came out yesterday.

Obviously thereā€™s a novelty element, but this is also a genuinely wonderful cover version which I would recommend. In particular, Let Down with OOT soundfont is too too good

2 Likes

You needed a proggy death metal cover of this song and donā€™t pretend otherwise.

4 Likes

This is excellent in my opinion, which is of no consequence at all, of course.

3 Likes

I have fond memories of playing Mario 64 while listening to OK Computer when both originally came out, so this is just perfect for me.

2 Likes