Old Comedy that is actually funny

I think there’s a general consensus that comedy used to be very safe, which is a largely true (it was very much dominated by white men, too) . Although most old forms are just precursors for the likes of Not Going Out etc that we see today, which bits do you still find amusing?

I think this is pretty clever:

6 Likes

Blazing Saddles

5 Likes

Round the Horne

3 Likes

And Young Frankenstein.

3 Likes

Steptoe And Son
Hancock
Derek & Clive/Bits of Not Only But Also etc

2 Likes

My older relatives

1 Like

Can’t recall any specific bits but whenever morecambe and wise are on it’s better than I expect. realised that vic and bob borrowed a lot from them as well as subverting it

11 Likes

I still think “Who’s On First” is incredibly funny.

3 Likes

Some (but not all) of Dads Army

1 Like

Enjoy this…

1 Like

Shakespeare

9 Likes

Most of it tbf.

Non-racist Looney Tunes is so fucking funny.

27 Likes

Is this the thing that’s massive in other European countries? Like millions of people watch it at Christmas or something?

3 Likes

how old?

Fawlty Towers and Blackadder Goes Forth are both incredibly funny in places

16 Likes

Kind Hearts and Coronets is funny

4 Likes

Porridge

6 Likes

download (2)

20 Likes

Trading places

2 Likes

I usually have no time whatsoever for anything made before about 2004 (speaking broadly here of any shit, not just comedy), and even then I’m dubious of it. But I’m absolutely fucking mad for Dads army, for some reason I love it, creases me up, and it’s so nice and comforting. HOWEVER, there’s a couple of episodes which are unforgivably racist.

Also, The Muppet show, and the Batman TV series, and The Munsters :black_heart::black_heart::black_heart:

4 Likes

Yeah this.

7 Likes