Old Fairytales

fucked up weren’t they?

4 Likes

fascinating though as a child like hansel and gretel where they eat children or something and get their house burnt down

Yeah, properly weird. Morality tales are fucking nutso.

2 Likes

Big fan

2 Likes

Yeah - I’ve found a book of fairytales at my mums house which I thought I’d read to Jimbo, and I have to tone down the books as I’m reading them because they’re so dark.

You know how the Disney films all have an evil step mother? Well, in this book, they don’t bother that plot device - in so many of the stories it’s the actual mother who wants to kill the children.

Bleak :grimacing:

2 Likes

nothing scarier than the one where they brick up Henry and leave him to die

13 Likes

My mother was very much into folk tales and we had many, many books of folk/fairy/mythology stories. The Andrew Lang series is one of my faves! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang's_Fairy_Books)
Ghost stories are up there, too.

1 Like

I mean, I never really understood when they brought Shockheaded Peter out because the author said fairy tales were too tame when we actually went on to censor fairy tales for being too gruesome (Little Mermaid/Snow White etc).

Would like those original gory ones back. I like how some were revived in Revolting Rhymes.

2 Likes

when I made this thread I thought “Scout will like/have something to say about scary fairy tales” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I assumed this was a Scout thread.

Love a dark fairy tale.

5 Likes

it’s amazing the capacity for and enjoyment you could get from scaring yourself as a kid. Obviously understandable why adults don’t want to do this to children but it’s easy to forget how dark and curious the mind of a child is.

1 Like

He was being a right prick about his paint though tbf

4 Likes

look at his face though! He’s probably still there now

2 Likes

We’ve got loads - Aesops Fables, Hans Christian Anderson, Tales of the Arabian nights, Grimms fairy tales. Great bedtime reading (for me to read to him).

You know which one’s dark - Rumplestiltskin. Dad lies to the king saying his daughter can spin straw to gold. King imprisons girl, who can’t actually spin straw, but Rumplestiltskin can. She ends up promising her first born to him. He takes the baby and she only gets it back at the last minute. Christ that’s harrowing.

2 Likes

Sometimes my sister says my Dad looks like Gordon

2 Likes

holy shit

The ending was revised in an 1857 edition to a more gruesome ending wherein Rumpelstiltskin “in his rage drove his right foot so far into the ground that it sank in up to his waist; then in a passion he seized the left foot with both hands and tore himself in two.”

3 Likes

Me mam got my eldest this the other day. I had it as a kid, it’s pretty fucked up.

3 Likes

Well then, I never knew I gave off scary fairy tale vibes. Very pleased about that.

3 Likes

I just thought you seem an interesting person who has a curiosity about such things. It wasn’t intended as an insult

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. Kids will make up their own gruesome stories to tell each other, after all.

1 Like