"Old Habits Die Hard"

I’ve been musing on this recently, after a conversation with a co-worker about phrases that one uses constantly but aren’t always appropriate.

We work in the area of providing healthcare for homeless people and part of the training for those doing direct services is to never ask “How are you?” or “How’s it going?”. My co-worker forgot this and was promptly snarled at by a client, rather justifiably. It was a good reminder and he did apologise later and she’s never done that again.

I’m trying to also stop saying, “Do you need help with that?” and instead ask, “Would you like some help?”, as I feel that’s friendlier.

Do you have any habits you’re trying to break, verbal or otherwise? How difficult has it been for you?

1 Like

smoke about 10 cigs a day. used to be closer to 20 so i’ve got that going for me.

1 Like

Try really hard not to start every post I make on this site with tbf or tbqh. Don’t always manage it.

2 Likes

Bruce Willis shooting up a convent

18 Likes

I once gave some money to a homeless person and they were really sweet and grateful and I told them to have a good evening, what a prick! Still cringe when I think about it

1 Like

also need to stop myself from saying ‘youroight’ every time I see someone. annoying myself.

3 Likes

Apologizing nonstop. It’s impossible and has gotten worse since now I’m constantly apologizing for apologizing.

1 Like

Yes, exactly! I walk away mentally smacking myself in the head. D’oh!

1 Like

*a retirement home for nuns

No way to say this without sounding passive aggressive

1 Like

I’ve been trying not to say this to the elderly lady I visit!
If I ask her how she is or how her day has been I always get a very negative answer (tbh she’s very negative about everything) and I always feel bad cos obviously her week has been shit. She’s done the same 3 things she does every week and she’s lonely and bored.

It is SO HARD to stop saying something you say in almost every other greeting interaction though. It just automatically comes out.

1 Like

go the other way and respond with something like this

2 Likes

SAME! I’ve started saying ‘I hope things get better for you’ but I still feel like an arsehole after every interaction I ever have with a homeless person.

3 Likes

Sighing. I sigh far too often. And not in a wistful way.

1 Like

It usually comes popping out when I see someone struggling to get a stroller or shopping cart onto the bus. Get really annoyed with myself over it.

Or “How are you today?”. Homeless! Ill! In pain!

1 Like

Old! Lonely! Bored! My family never visit! :pensive:

1 Like

I have breathing issues so what sounds like a sigh is my brain yelling, “breathe, you idiot!”.

I think a lot of people will honestly just appreciate somebody caring and taking an interest, I’m sure they can read and understand when the sentiment comes from a kind place. Still makes me cringe though

3 Likes

Disappointed nobody’s come up with a Bruce Willis joke yet, but I can appreciate it’s not the tap-in it looks at first glance.

1 Like