Old School Doctor Who

Love watching these late at night, brings back a lot of memories, usually daft but enjoyable and I’ve always thought The Pyramids of Mars is the best… but, just watched Episode 1 of The Daemons, I must have seen it before but cannot recall it at all. Wow, it’s dark and some real good proper horror vibes. The Master in it (Delgado) is just superb, proper menace.

5 Likes

Which channel do they show the old episodes on?

I believe they have them all on BritBox but I have them all (available) ripped to MP4. I have a fair few DVD’s and Blu Ray’s and dip in as and when.

The Daemons is really dark and I loved the first episode, will continue with it tomorrow.

1 Like

Love The Daemons. You’re about to have the best line ever from the Brigadier in an episode or two.

2 Likes

Yes!
^This.

1 Like

That whole series that included Pyramids Of Mars was based on tributes to classic horror films, hence the darkness. Mary Whitehouse went apeshit iirc

1 Like

I remember the Caves of Androzani being amazing but haven’t watched it in a very long time.

1 Like

Who’s your favourite old school who?

• Patrick Troughton
  • Tom Baker
  • Colin Baker
  • Jon Pertwee
  • Sylvester McCoy
  • William Hartnell
  • Peter Davison

0 voters

Such strong memories of being terrified by Tom Baker Who. By the time Peter Davidson came along I was older and tougher and less scared

2 Likes

Old school Doctor Who was far superior (in general) to any of the modern versions

I think using more natural landscapes contributed to the eeriness, sets were a bit more sparse, there was a slower pace…felt a bit more otherworldly. Now it’s sub-Hollywood CGI and blockbuster pacing.

5 Likes

I was into it around the late Baker/Davidson era. Just because that’s when I was the right age I guess.

So it’s a load of stories from Keeper of Traken → Castrovalva I remember really clearly (probably not that clear at all but I remember he had to make a chillout coffin out of the doors of his chillout room because that got jettisoned when he had to shift some weight off the tardis.)

2 Likes

Prick

8 Likes

I’m not totally down with this but I do think it would be loads better if nu-who took a few of the things that worked from olde who. Like slow it down a bit, stories made up of 4X25 minute episodes maybe. Cliffhangers. Fewer mystery boxes. Less"this is going to change what dr who means forever" type stuff.

10 Likes

No falling in love with assistants (I’ve watched barely any new doctor who but there seems to be a lot of this stuff, makes it a different show entirely )

6 Likes

I feel sorry for Sylvester McCoy, he did some great work ( and scheming) and the show was beginning to recover just as it got cancelled.

4 Likes

This. It’s really annoying. And it should never been about how special the Doctor is, that he’s a mad person in a box turning up as weird shit happens works a lot better.

2 Likes

Tom Baker is my favourite… but Sylvester McCoy has a special place in my heart for being the one around when I was growing up. And for terrifying with me teenage vampire girls, that I was convinced were spying on me through the bathroom skylight whenever I had a bath for a long time after. Recently bought the Dr Who novel written by Sophie Aldred :sunglasses:.

1 Like

Some old uni friends of my parents were pals with an actor who played the baddie in one of the (I think) Tom Baker episodes. They have a son the same age as me, who watched the whole thing steadfastly refusing to believe that he was in fact the baddie.

1 Like

When they first got Doctor Who back with Christopher Eccleston I got really fascinated by the look of the old stuff in a restrospective special they ran on BBC 3 or something. Went and rinsed all of the classic series I could find on YouTube and Dailymotion, which was quite a lot because copywrite crawlers didn’t really exist back then. I absolutely loved it (I was 14 and had loads of time to watch it mind you). The weird Britishness of it, the strangely brutal undercurrent to it all, how you could see exactly how it was all achieved, the really unique music, the batshit melodrama. I liked Sylvester McCoy the best, his vibe of the Doctor intentionally putting across the air of a silly bugger but actually being quite a hard motherfucker under the surface really worked for me, I thought he was the least detached seeming of all the classic Doctors as well.

Agree fully with what people have said about the new stuff having way too much of the Doctor being the centre of the universe and too much being in love with the companions. It became utterly unwatchable during Clara’s tenure on the show, which was a shame because her first episodes when she was a Dalek and Victorian Christmas lady were brilliant I thought. Still really into Capaldi’s last series with Bill and Missy, and all of Eccleston’s stuff, and most of the Matt Smith/Karen Gillan stuff tho.

1 Like

Doctor Whom

3 Likes